Home theater website online

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by gregstaten, Mar 3, 2002.

1. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

As construction is due to start tomorrow (yea!) I put up a website for the theater. Currently you'll find a floor plan, list of equipment (with links), and some pre-construction photographs of the space.
    Take a look! I'll let you all know when I add more to it.
    Greg's Home Theater
    -greg

2. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Greg,

Looks great. You're going to love the Triad speakers. I'm a bit surprised that you are using Silver Surrounds as the sides AND rears. I'd spec Silver Satellites for the rears. I prefer directs as rears in my designs. Good luck. What's the ETA for Opening Night?

3. gregstaten

Bill, Silver Surrounds all around was what Dennis recommended. I also prefer diffuse sound for the surrounds so the dipoles sounded right to me.

My opening day ETA is around May 1. Hopefully principal construction will be done by mid-April and I can bring the acoustic installers in.

-greg

4. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Greg,
    I'm looking forward to seeing your site but the link wouldn't work for me. Anyone else having the same problem?

5. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Greg, I would strongly suggest putting another set of L/R surrounds in the rear side columns. Other wise the rear seating will have too much frontal imaging of the L/R surrounds. This will be very bad imaging for PL, PLII decoding as well as 5.1and EX. In this I am assuming the rear two speakers are EX/ES?
    I have the same basic config so I talk from experience, see my site www.prosteering.8k.com.
    Wire it while you can, you don't have to use it but it will be there if you choose to which I think you will!
    Wes

6. Shajan

Shajan Auditioning

The plan looks good. What is the size of your theater room?

7. Dennis Erskine

8. Arthur E

Arthur E Auditioning

Greg,

Looks great! I'm curious about screen size, distance between front row and screen, and projector-to-screen distance.

9. gregstaten

10. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson

11. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Greg,
    Excellent site. I look forward to following your progress (and you'll be glad to know that your site is the first one I cruised with my new Earthlink DSL connection at 1.3 Meg download speed!).
    Take care. Your fun ride is just beginning.

12. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Great site Greg! Can't wait to watch your HT unfold. Looks to be another great design by Dennis. Best of luck with construction and keep us posted!

13. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

Greg,
    Glad to see you're finally underway! Site looks great. As you know our DE designed theaters are very similar so I'll be following your progress closely as well. I'm especially interested in how the dual SVS 16-46CS subs work out as I'm planning the same setup.
    Good luck and keep us posted. (pun intended [​IMG])

14. Dennis Erskine

Wes, I will be the last to interfere with your personal preferences. However, you must also realise your commercial theater is not your home. You don't have 150' depth and 50' of width, you are running a 5.1 mix -- your theater is not, you do not have an array processor (or similar) managing or decorrelating, time, timbre, amplitude and phase aligning multiple side speakers, and your speaker to head distance is much different in the commercial theater than in your home.

By the way, the surround speakers in Greg's design are dipolars, not mono-polars. By the way, if you're using monopolar surrounds, they must be about 20 degrees behind your head or the surround image will indeed be perceived to be in front of you. (It's a function of how we hear and perceive the sound.) More exactly, they'd need to be at 110 degrees where 0 degrees is directly in front of you. Speakers placed in front of that mark will appear to 'image' in front of you.

The theatrical sound we're trying to obtain, cannot be obtained with mono polar surround speakers in small venues. There are a lot of reasons for this ... including the way 5.1 is mixed, HRTF, speaker localization, loss of timbre matching (timbre changes off axis from mono poles), etc. In fact, the perception of the surround effects will, with mono poles, change as the seating position changes.

15. gregstaten

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I hope to update the site every weekend (if my currently very flaky cable modem allows).

-greg

16. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

that is the same setup i have but with different equipment my room is 25 x 14 i have bi/di polar speakers on all teh walls i have a 65 inch ws tv and raised seating very cool i bult and designed mine all my self

17. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Dennis I thought that Greg's inwall surrounds were direct radiating monopoles, my mistake! I did look at some of the theaters you have designed and must say they do look good.

I'm sorry for questioning your speaker configuration!

Wes

18. Dennis Erskine

Wes ... well, since I'm a native Utahn and raised in SLC, I'll let you get away with it. [​IMG]