Home Theater vs. Music speakers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chuck Bogie, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Okay - been doing a little reading, a little more reading, a little more reading...

Seems like for HT, I'm going to want a different "sort" of speaker than for music... Folks seem to prefer smallish vented two-ways for HT, but as of late, I've been pretty much bitten by some nice sealed boxes... I watch movies, and I also have more than a few DD/DTS music disks... But I find myself gravitating toward direct stereo mode for CDs, radio, etc...

So, is there a compromise in there?

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Technically speaking, a good loudspeaker should perform well regardless of what you're listening to. I do understand what you're saying though. HT can require more power and wider bandwidth than much of the music we may listen to. If you like jazz and classical you may not care if you have 90 db at 20 Hz or even 20 KHz. Also, many times listening to music is less of a social affair than watching a movie which may mean more near field listening and even a smaller room.

3. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

I concur with Tim. The main reason behind the "small, vented two-ways" in HT seems to be price (the need for 5 sat. speakers), marketing, and space/lifestyle factors. That being said, there are many high quality "HT" speakers that would serve you well in two channel listening. Remember that any speaker that meets your criteria for stereo listening will easily meet your now/future HT requirements. Research, listen, decide, enjoy!
    JP

4. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

If your goal is an accurate speaker and that is what you have it will reproduce the source material accuretly regardless, be it Buddy Rich or The Lord of the Rings.
    The reason some people prefer different speakers for movies than music is simply because (for example) they may enjoy more punchy bass in their HT but they want tight bass for music leaving you with two subwoofers like a mid tuned vented sub for HT and low Q sealed sub for music etc, etc.