What's new

Home Theater virgin (1 Viewer)

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
So I guess will have to look for stqndsGuess speakers are not like cimputers where 5 year olf models are antique compared to new ones

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
Ok so both the missions and kef are avaulableWhich ones are better. I will have to buy the centre speakee if I go missionsLet me know

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What I would suggest...

I checked up on that Wharfedale sub. It is a commercial sub intended to fill up auditoriums with bass to 40hz. What it will do with an 80hz crossover(it is designed to run 40hz to 150hz) is "try it and see". I bet it would have no issues getting down to 30hz...if its upper limit was held in check at 80.

Back to the intent here...

I would buy both the KEF and the Mission...then re-sell the one you like least. Finish your theatre after you've decided. The KEF KHT is not rare, you can find those at any time. Mission on the other hand are rare on the used market. To build a system of Mission...you won't be able to take your time. When speakers show up...buy them without wasting time.

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
What if you had to pick 1With kef i will have to invest in stands. With mission I will have to buy centre channel speakerLet me know. I think I am getting closer thanks to you

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The C75 was KEF's lowest end speaker(yeah, their "low end" speaker was $800/pair when these were new).

Those Mission are incredible. Nobody says that about the C75/95.

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
Argonauts for front and 734 for left and rightWill that work?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is a guy selling a pair of 700 bookshelves. If you have room to sit one in there...use one(let the other collect dust). He only wants $100. Have no idea if the 700 would work laying sideways.

Otherwise...keep checking Ebay and Kijiji. The 7 series Mission have been made for years.

There are a few(mostly the 77C...which is available two ways...wall-flush and a traditional box) on Ebay.

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
I checked up on that Wharfedale sub. It is a commercial sub intended to fill up auditoriums with bass to 40hz. What it will do with an 80hz crossover(it is designed to run 40hz to 150hz) is "try it and see". I bet it would have no issues getting down to 30hz...if its upper limit was held in check at 80.I am going to check out the sub in Wed. How do I check this?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Pretty much. Sounds like this one Is at some sort of a store. See if you can return it if it doesn't meet the goal you have in mind.It is a band-pass sub. That means the driver itself is enclosed. What you hear, is the back wave. The port on this one is tuned to 40hz. Meaning it will never, ever, play lower than 30hz...and it may not even get there.But...you have a large basement. You could use it as a MBM(Mid bass module). It would be overkill(being this thing is 100lbs).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Much better option...and you get your center.

By the way, AS is not the model number of that subwoofer. Call and ask what size it is. 10" or bigger sure(doesn't look like an 8).

AS stands for Active Series which is what Mission simply called their self-powered subs. Back when it was new...self-powering hadn't taken over. Many AVR at the time had their own subwoofer channel for a passive sub.

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
Thanks for all your suggestions Sam. I am going to buy these tomorrow. In your honest opinoon do you think that these will still sound better than for example the new primis after 15plus years. I will look at them and make sure they are physically okI mean dosent technology get better and dont the magnets in the speakers wear out and the components become loose. I am not doubting you just confirming. :)Thanks for your suggestions so far

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have a pair of LaFayette and Heathkit that were built(as home kits) by my grandfather in the 60s.Even if one day those Argonauts start having issues, the tweeter, like almost all Mission, is a Vifa. If it isn't still in their catalog, a same size replacement is. From a post in 2008, a guy bought replacement tweeters for $85/pair.Point being. My DCM TF 600 are the same age. The philips components inside are nowhere near what Mission used for the Argonaut. There are DIY forums with tips on refurbishing the 780 Argonaut. Even if you don't have the guts to repair the crossover someday, there is enough info out there to get it done.Changing drivers is easy. If you ever have to.

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
Got all the mission speakers yesterday.
The subwoofer is indeed AS1 see attached pic
Sub.jpg

I dont even know what those buttons are in the back. Where do i connect the amp?

Here is my list:

Powered sub - model AS 1,180 Watts Center speaker - model 73C, 2-way reflex, 75 Watts Great for surround sound system
Missission Argonauts
Mission 734 floor speakers

I am ordering the onkyo TR717, will that be adequate?

Also can you suggest some speaker wires something better than dollar store variety but not outrageously expensive. Something i can buy online at a good price.

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks