schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
csh said:
Definitely won't be a "cable issue"...

And like I said, also move the amp to the rear channel just to rule out it is noisy. This is "pro gear". There might also be a ground loop going on. Is it plugged into the same circuit as the 717? (if not, move it to the same circuit. You might have to buy a ground loop isolator...but we'll cross that bridge when we get to the cause of the noise)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
We want to rule out "over-cooking" the Argonauts...essentially...

Cause it is puzzling music was fine...soundtrack was not. Usually the other way around. Unless that music was MP3/low bit rate, then it makes sense.

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
Whats overcooking?

Yes the music is fine at any loudness level.. but when playing a scence with dialogues the voice distorts and there is speaker noise... it was all blu ray source

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Over-cooking means too much power...either as...

Actually too much power.(which is why we need to check the Argo's*. If the rears are fine, you might need to refurb the crossover in the Argo's. Which won't cost much)
Being driven into distortion.
Over-running the power off the grid(you know how lights fluctuate if on...and you start a vacuum)

How much power does that Crate pull off the wall? (I couldn't read it from the picture)

*Yes the Argo handles 400 watts. Yes it is 4ohm. Yes it is a fabulous speaker. But...25 years old. Caps and copper coils don't last forever. But they aren't expensive.

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
1100VA

Stereo Mode: 260 watts / channel @ 8 ohms 20Hz–20kHz
425 watts / channel @ 4 ohms 20Hz–20kHz
660 watts / channel @ 2 ohms 1kHz

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
csh said:
so are the argonauts damaged? I dont understand
No, not damaged.

25 years old. What you need to determine is if the newer speakers(your rear set is more than a decade newer) make the same noises. If so, it is the amp. (maybe this amp just doesn't like a non-balanced pre-amp)

If not, then it might be time to redo the crossover in the Argonauts. Cause you are going from 20% of their(original) capacity to 100%. Maybe they no longer have their original 100%. But, newer stuff(and better designed today) often means a vintage speaker ends up 125% of original capacity.

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
This is in an unfinished basement.
So i have one electrical outlet. regular not 15 AMP
From the outlet i have a long extension bar (25ft) cable run to behind the equipment.
I have a good quality philips power bar in which i have hooked the sub, tv, blu ray, game, cable box and receiver,
The amp i have plugged in the original extension bar and not the philips power bar.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Canada must be different. In the US, 15 amp is "regular".

I had mine(for the circuits used) upgraded to a 20.

I suggest you do that as well. Matter of fact, run two. Run your video(TV and sources) on one...audio on the other one.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Basically you got 1100 + 744 + "everything else" on (at most) 1800 available.

That 1800 is what you'd have on 15 amp. If you only have 1440(which would be 12)...that might be some of the problem.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
csh said:
Can worn out crossovers lead to noise
Other than "worn out" being the incorrect term...yes. (replace "worn out" with "aged")

The same reason you change alternators on your car. Alternators don't wear out. They age.

I've replaced alternators before where the core was more than the cost. Why? Cause all it needs(usually) is new brushes and contacts. Brushes and contacts don't "wear out". They get corroded.

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
Yes the sub amp and 717 and everything else are on same circuit so it may not be getting the power

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you are browning the circuit(assume you are familiar with brown and black....in reference to the power grid)...yes.

Also, certain municipalities will brown certain areas of a city when they know people won't be home.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks