What's new

home theater virgin needs aura bass shaker hlp (1 Viewer)

BrandonKU

Auditioning
wow, wasn't that long winded!! for starters, allow me to admit my home theater virginity! i have finally pieced a small mix & matched system together, and i'm now considering bass shakers. i've done some research on here, and see that most people are running a second receiver to power their bass shakers. so here's the tricky part, for me at least, probably another "jesus these newbies are slow"

what should i wire them to? another cheap receiver? an amp? i'm looking for optimal results on minimal wallet damage!!

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
I had some shakers a few years ago & I powered them with a "pawn shop" receiver I got for about $20.

On your main receiver, split your "subwoofer out" line, with 1 line going to your sub & 1 line going to the pawn shop receiver. You can then run speaker wire from the bass shakers to the pawn shop receiver. By adjusting the volume, you can adjust the amount of "shake"!

JasonTan

Grip
Question - in an apartment situation, would using shakers instead of a sub isolate the "bass" to the couch or chairs or would the boom be worst for neighboring apartments than using a sub?

Also, if no sub exists but shakers do, can you tell the receiver to still send all the bass info to the speakers (as in the speakers/shakers share the LFE?).

My guess would be yes by setting the speakers to large and hooking shakers up to the LFE input?

- LB

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator

Bass shaker will disturb the neighbors more that a sub, you are now moving objects, not just air. The shakers will be shaking whatever the couch is setting on as well. You may want to look at isolation feet if you are in an appartment. That should help but not solve the problem.

Brandon,
If you are not in an appartment check out Clark too. An alternative to Aurora - a little be easier to drive. They wont take as much power.
I used a Sub amp I got from Parts Express - mounted in my wall and the Platinum from Clark to drive my entire floor (12x17)
Total for the amp and the shaker was about $500.00. You could do it for a lot less shaking just a couch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks