What's new

Home Theater United Episode 28 - Room Modes with Dave Upton (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Reconnection (5m or less):
  • Mike Alder music video - TV TOO HIGH! =)
  • Christopher Nolan Oppenheimer
  • Value Electronics Shootout winners
  • Sam - baby did a bad bad thing
Room Modes (Target time 1h or less):
Dave's Links:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A 2nd subwoofer is too extreme, but a $15K projector, no prob. <_<

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sure sure, put words in my mouth. I never said that it was too extreme. I don't think it's necessary or will be as compelling as laser HDR by any stretch. If I didn't have other competing uses for my dollar I'd love one and would find a way to make it work in the space allotted. A single 15" sub is plenty for the space it's in and we'll re-evaluate as budget and needs change down the line.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
BTW we are soooo close to passing 1k downloads a month! Thanks to everyone who has been listening and supporting the show. It's very much appreciated!!!!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sure sure, put words in my mouth. I never said that it was too extreme. I don't think it's necessary or will be as compelling as laser HDR by any stretch. If I didn't have other competing uses for my dollar I'd love one and would find a way to make it work in the space allotted. A single 15" sub is plenty for the space it's in and we'll re-evaluate as budget and needs change down the line.
You’re so easy.

To be serious for a moment, it just shows that we all have our personal priorities. Not many people are able to go full bore on every aspect of their systems. We have to decide what is most important to us personally. You can get a $1K QLED that has image quality that would have seemed impossible ten years ago, five years ago actually, and for me, that fulfills what I want for myself. But… I put a LOT more importance on the audio. That’s just me. We all get to make our choices.
…and Sam and I have been taking shots at each other for twenty years. It’s a proud tradition.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If I could get any panel 120” at 1/15th the price I’d strongly consider it. This is the most money I will ever spend on something that’s not a car or house. It feels ridiculous to me to even consider it. It feels like a crime to spend that much money.

And yet it feels like the one luxury that will make me the most happy as I head towards the winter of my life. No audio upgrade comes close to making me feel as excited as this pj upgrade does.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is this episode canon? Confused because it had the “Brian Dobbs” character watching a movie on a streaming service. Not sure I’m accepting this as a canonical chapter.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Remind me, which movie?
His GBU pick. The “Sam” character said it was only available on Netflix so “Brian” didn’t watch it on disc.

I’m checking IMDB to see if there was recasting of the characters, which might explain things.

:)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don’t have a lot to say here. But putting time and/or money into room treatments can help a lot.

And don’t stress about not having a non-ideal room. Do the best you can with what you have. I’ve got a lousy room shape for a theater (T), but got some good guidance on basic layout, and did the best we could with it and it’s pretty great.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If I could get any panel 120” at 1/15th the price I’d strongly consider it. This is the most money I will ever spend on something that’s not a car or house. It feels ridiculous to me to even consider it. It feels like a crime to spend that much money.

And yet it feels like the one luxury that will make me the most happy as I head towards the winter of my life. No audio upgrade comes close to making me feel as excited as this pj upgrade does.
I’ve been going through the seven stages of grief over these new projectors. I was super excited and working to pre-order announcement day. But then the pricing began sinking in.

This is thrown my 4K upgrade plans in disarray.

But I’m looking forward to Sam installing one for me to get an in-person demo from! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks