What's new

Home Theater United episode 27 - Snacks Nom Nom! (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Kaleidescape Terra 12 movie server will be priced at $7,995. Accompanying Strato C players are priced at $2,995 each.
This is a "cheaper" Kaleidascape like the JVC NZ7 is a "cheaper" laser projector. :D

Ah maaaaan...
"and neither is the “butter” poured over the kernels. That’s usually a topping made with soybean oil, beta carotene, tertiary Butylhydroquinone for shelf stability, and polydimethylsiloxane to prevent foaming. This butter-like concoction helps prevent popcorn from getting soggy."
Mmm.... Thats the taste of going to the theater!

Well, except now, The Alamo pops corn fresh and uses real butter.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I aspire to entertain. I’ve not actually had as many social gatherings as I’d expected / hoped the past four years.

That’s the insurmountable problem I run into.

When I was in film school and then a recent graduate, getting movie screenings up and running was easy. No shortage of takers for movie nights when I had a 16x9 SD projector on an 80” screen circa 2006-2009.

Moved after that, PJ went into mothballs, and resumed home projection with an HD 3D machine and 106” screen in 2014. I think, at best, maybe once a year prior to the pandemic I could get people over. My wife’s friend group, who very kindly adopted me, all love movies and many went to film school. In 2014-2018, we all lived within five or ten minutes from each other, and it just never happened. Watching a movie at home was something this group did when there was no group activity, not as the group activity. If the group got together to see a movie, it would be a new one in a theater.

Now, as we’re coming out of the pandemic (fingers crossed), we’ve had a small number of opportunities to get together. We haven’t seen these people in a year or more. Everyone has been home watching TV for all that time. Everyone now lives further apart - 30 to 90 minutes away rather than 5-10. No one wants to watch a movie when we get together. We’ve been apart so long and stuck watching TV so long that no one (other than me) wants to spend the precious time we have together staring at a bright wall while not talking to each other. Having kids complicates it further - we can’t host a movie until they go to bed, and no one wants to start later and then have a long travel time home afterwards.

Realistically, I think the next opportunities for hosting movie screenings are probably when the kids are older and have friends over and want to do movie nights with their friends, which I figure is five years away. And I guess they will reach that age where we become friends with the parents of some of their friends and have a more local group in need of an activity.

It’s disappointing in some ways but illuminating in others. It means that my limited resources are better spent on improvements and accessories that benefit me (or my wife and kids) specifically, rather than trying to make a more social space. There’s no point in spending money on theater quality seating for a group when there is no group. Or putting on hold the idea a beautiful snack and bar station like Dave’s, which is brilliant, because it’s not going to be used enough to justify the expense. But there is something clarifying about realizing it makes more sense in this specific moment to spend on things that make me happy and that I can use now rather than things that would be beneficial to a group that isn’t likely to materialize.

So… beautiful full size popcorn cart or in home soda tap? Probably not anytime soon, but man, that would be so cool to have.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And this is why we went fishing (ha) for guests to have on for this episode, Dave. You’d have been perfect!

It's been a busy month with a bunch of short-notice, late evenings. I thought about asking to join in, but I was worried I couldn't make the schedule work and would have to pull out late notice.

If you do a sequel ("The Lost Snacks: Snackocalypse 2: The Sequel, part of the Snacktastic Podcast Universe"), I'm in.

That said: Today's my birthday. And a milestone birthday in a pandemic kinda sucks. But I went to the park to do my outdoor exercise thing. And it was good listening to the podcast, listening to friends talk home theater snacks. It brightened my morning. :)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
We’ve been apart so long and stuck watching TV so long that no one (other than me) wants to spend the precious time we have together staring at a bright wall while not talking to each other. Having kids complicates it further - we can’t host a movie until they go to bed, and no one wants to start later and then have a long travel time home afterwards.

Realistically, I think the next opportunities for hosting movie screenings are probably when the kids are older and have friends over and want to do movie nights with their friends, which I figure is five years away. And I guess they will reach that age where we become friends with the parents of some of their friends and have a more local group in need of an activity.

It’s disappointing in some ways but illuminating in others. It means that my limited resources are better spent on improvements and accessories that benefit me (or my wife and kids) specifically, rather than trying to make a more social space. There’s no point in spending money on theater quality seating for a group when there is no group
Eeeeeeexxxxxxxxxxaaaaactly.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I used to like microwave popcorn, but the last few times I've tried it, it left a terrible waxy, greasy coating in my mouth. Blech!
What brand do you get?

We get Act II Butter Lovers and really like it

I've read that BoomChickaPop is the best, but haven't tried it yet

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Moved after that, PJ went into mothballs, and resumed home projection with an HD 3D machine and 106” screen in 2014. I think, at best, maybe once a year prior to the pandemic I could get people over. My wife’s friend group, who very kindly adopted me, all love movies and many went to film school. In 2014-2018, we all lived within five or ten minutes from each other, and it just never happened. Watching a movie at home was something this group did when there was no group activity, not as the group activity. If the group got together to see a movie, it would be a new one in a theater.
We have friends in our neighbhorhood. And when we get together, we want to socialize. Not sit alone together in a dark room for two hours. Which has made movie-night events a low priority.

And people want to see the latest MCU movie when we do a group movie, which means the theater.

And the pandemic has killed going-on-two-years of indoors, group socializing.

We'll have a Lost Boys night when pandemic allows. That was the next party I was planning back in February of 2020.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think so. Saw it in the supermarket last time I stocked up on microwave popcorn. Btw, as far as the microwaveable stuff goes, the Newman’s Own one with sea salt and olive oil is pretty good. It’s not home popping machine or movie theater pro popper good, but it’s fluffy and flavorful without tasting artificial.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A little apropos…

We’re having a “The Lost Boys” movie party on Saturday. So today I made a cocktail for the party. I’m calling it the Moscow Frog: a riff on the classic Moscow Mule in honor of the Frog brothers.

Moscow Frog
2 oz vodka
4 oz blood orange frizzante (soda)
½ oz cranberry juice
1 dash orange bitters
Luxardo cherry

It’s a bloody bright red color that starts fizzy sweet and ends tart and bitter: like a vampire’s embrace. And at the bottom is the red heart of a cherry to enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks