What's new

Home Theater United Episode 20 - Film historian and preservationist Mr. Robert A Harris (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
But space doesn’t work the way Star Trek or Star Wars portrays it either and I like those.
I think we've had this argument. The reason it isn't a valid comparison to me is... Star Wars (in particular) doesn't even remotely base its foundation on actual science. It's actually fantasy set in space, which makes it nothing like Gravity, or The Midnight Sky, which I think is the movie we were actually discussing when this argument came up a while back. Gravity, Ad Astra and The Midnight Sky build their entire story on science that turns out to be completely junk, then claim to not be about science at all. I can still appreciate those movies to some degree, but they are severely hampered by what I consider to be lazy writing.

The best Science Fiction is plausible, but still ultimately about something existential and the complexities of being human. Arrival, of course, is one of the best examples, or Contact, and in a more subtle sense, look at something like Never Let Me Go. Yes, it is definitely Science Fiction and plausible, as well as highly introspective of humanity. If a story wants to push the limits, then good writing will do it in a way that creates a world where those rules are established. Take Annihilation, for example. It's Science Fiction, but it's so fantastical that we are led into a world where the implausible is accepted and the metaphor isn't lazily achieved.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oh yeah. Predestination really messed with my head. That's a Philip K. Dick story, isn't it?

Has anyone seen I Am Mother? Another interesting one.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Oh yeah. Predestination really messed with my head. That's a Philip K. Dick story, isn't it?
Heinlein. But I totally thought it was PDK at first too.

Has anyone seen I Am Mother? Another interesting one.
It’s on my Netflix watchlist, but haven’t gotten to it.

Last edited:

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Star Wars is a great example of the maxim:

If it has rivets, it’s science fiction. If it has bark, it’s fantasy.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I realized I have watched a scifi movie recently that‘s on disc, and is meant to be thoughtful, rather than action oriented: Predestination. It’s only $10 for the blu-ray. I bought it and ripped it to my HTPC rather than digitally rent it for $4.

Amazon product
I won’t try to describe it, since saying anything risks giving away the conceit. If you want to give it a go, I recommend going in knowing nothing except that it’s not an action movie, and keep an open mind because it’s a slow burn and 20 minutes in, you’ll be wondering why you ever listened to me. But the beginning will make sense and it comes together.

Added to list. :)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Gravity, Ad Astra and The Midnight Sky build their entire story on science that turns out to be completely junk, then claim to not be about science at all. I can still appreciate those movies to some degree, but they are severely hampered by what I consider to be lazy writing.
+1

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Added to list. :)
When you're 20 to 30 minutes in and you're rage-texting me WTH did I recommend ?!?!, I will respond to just give it a bit longer and it will start to cohere into a story. :D

A friend recommended it, and I was like what is this that I'm watching? But it was pretty solid by the end.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
When you're 20 to 30 minutes in and you're rage-texting me WTH did I recommend ?!?!, I will respond to just give it a bit longer and it will start to cohere into a story. :D

A friend recommended it, and I was like what is this that I'm watching? But it was pretty solid by the end.
Roger that!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It feels like PDK because it’s trippy and character driven. It doesn’t feel like Heinlein because it’s not filled with free-love polygamy. :D
I started Predestination a few days ago, but just wasn't in the mood. I think I'll finish it now. It's been a few years since I saw it, but I definitely remember it messing up my head. As I recall, the story is essentially impossible, but intriguing. That's from a vague recollection.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You gotta be in the mood! It’s not a fast paced, action movie. This is not Looper.
Yeah, with the new subs, I've been wanting to try them out, so it's been The Hunger Games series, Rogue One, Dredd & Valerian. Time to take a break.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I finally listened to this episode today.

I enjoyed RAH's ability to repeatedly flummox you guys.

Maybe we can start up a collection to get Brian some aspect ratio therapy. Possibly some ECT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeklystreaming
Recent bookmarks