What's new

Home Theater United Episode 18 - Special Guests: SVS (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Guess I was wrong, didn’t try it myself.
58C1CA95-910D-4940-9A81-A19B497A9DFC.jpeg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's maybe the second time iPhone AR has been actually, real-world useful for me. :) Checked some 3000 and Ultra subs in my theater and got a realistic sense of their size, asethetics, and location options. I could trade acoustics for aesthetics and put one or two SB-3000 behind the second row.

IMG_0451.jpeg

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
That's maybe the second time iPhone AR has been actually, real-world useful for me. :) Checked some 3000 and Ultra subs in my theater and got a realistic sense of their size, asethetics, and location options. I could trade acoustics for aesthetics and put one or two SB-3000 behind the second row.
yesss-do-it-meme.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

View attachment 95249
If you can put them in the corners, that's probably the best location. You should get much more even distribution and fewer peaks and nulls.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you can put them in the corners, that's probably the best location. You should get much more even distribution and fewer peaks and nulls.
They can also go in the front wall below the screen. So I could get one in a front corner. The room shape precludes two in corners. I did AR shots of that situation too. That’s the best I expect I could do acoustically.

That’s part of why I’m now seriously considering the SB-3000. It’s small enough that it can go in any of those places and I can move it to find the best compromise. And it’s small enough that I have some hope of getting it installed without hurting my back (legit issue). (The PB-3000 and SB-4000 are options in terms of size and cost, but their weight makes them increasingly difficult / risky for me to deal with.)

And I’ve got myself grounded back to reality: my PC-12 is amazing with its 12 cone. These SB-3000 has a 13” woofer. They should perform similar to the PC-12. I’m not going for super loud. I just want <20 Hz without the wall buzzing in resonance.

It would be ideal to get my in-wall sub made to work fully. It can do a good job. But, lessons learned, and it’s almost certainly cheaper to toss in a pair of SVS than get the installer out to revise the old sub install.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They can also go in the front wall below the screen. So I could get one in a front corner. The room shape precludes two in corners. I did AR shots of that situation too. That’s the best I expect I could do acoustically.

That’s part of why I’m now seriously considering the SB-3000. It’s small enough that it can go in any of those places and I can move it to find the best compromise. And it’s small enough that I have some hope of getting it installed without hurting my back (legit issue). (The PB-3000 and SB-4000 are options in terms of size and cost, but their weight makes them increasingly difficult / risky for me to deal with.)

And I’ve got myself grounded back to reality: my PC-12 is amazing with its 12 cone. These SB-3000 has a 13” woofer. They should perform similar to the PC-12. I’m not going for super loud. I just want <20 Hz without the wall buzzing in resonance.

It would be ideal to get my in-wall sub made to work fully. It can do a good job. But, lessons learned, and it’s almost certainly cheaper to toss in a pair of SVS than get the installer out to revise the old sub install.
Opposing corners is often ideal. So if you can put one in or near the opposing corner in the rear, go for it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Can’t do opposing corners. Room is T-shaped (Back row at top of T)

Could do front and back of room subs. That might be ok, since we do most watching in the second row.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Can’t do opposing corners. Room is T-shaped (Back row at top of T)

Could do front and back of room subs. That might be ok, since we do most watching in the second row.
Lately I've really been diving into the dynamics of subwoofer placement and room integration (either thanks to or the fault of @Dave Upton :P) and while I already knew that a main goal is not to place a sub anywhere near equal distant from two walls, as I look at sweeps with different placement, it's driven home that sealed subs tend to be more flexible and can produce remarkably low frequencies in real-world situations that specs don't reveal. A major factor for me is not to have a sub too close to any specific viewing position, if at all possible. So, if you can have a sealed sub against the rear wall and maybe 3-4 feet from the side, that might work well with another in the opposite front corner.

I should be delving into dual subs for the first time myself shortly.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Lately I've really been diving into the dynamics of subwoofer placement and room integration (either thanks to or the fault of @Dave Upton :P) and while I already knew that a main goal is not to place a sub anywhere near equal distant from two walls, as I look at sweeps with different placement, it's driven home that sealed subs tend to be more flexible and can produce remarkably low frequencies in real-world situations that specs don't reveal. A major factor for me is not to have a sub too close to any specific viewing position, if at all possible. So, if you can have a sealed sub against the rear wall and maybe 3-4 feet from the side, that might work well with another in the opposite front corner.

I should be delving into dual subs for the first time myself shortly.
Did some AR previewing with my wife...

Now considering one or two on either side of the front row seating. :) The space appears to work with compact sealed subs. They wouldn’t be line of sight (under the screen). There’s power outlet right, no cords running across the floor. Can use wireless adapter for audio signal. Likely better acoustic location than the rear wall. Probably have flexibility in whether they fire at screen, to the side, or front/back.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Did some AR previewing with my wife...

Now considering one or two on either side of the front row seating. :) The space appears to work with compact sealed subs. They wouldn’t be line of sight (under the screen). There’s power outlet right, no cords running across the floor. Can use wireless adapter for audio signal. Likely better acoustic location than the rear wall. Probably have flexibility in whether they fire at screen, to the side, or front/back.
This generally works well if the spacing is roughly symmetrical and not too close to a boundary. There's also horn subs you can actually put under your couch, like the TH-SPUD. https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/subwoofers/tapped-horns/th-spud/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks