What's new

Home Theater + turntable (1 Viewer)

frmu6

Auditioning
Real Name
Frederick
Hello everyone, I'm glad to join this community !

I have a question since I'm new with turnatable and home theater system.

I just bought a samsung h5 h 5530

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-1000-watt-5-1-channel-blu-ray-dvd-home-theatre-system-ht-h5530-zc-ht-h5530-zc/10291238.aspx?path=a74effd655318ce324ca0fd69da3f59aen02&lang=fr-CA&pcname=&sku=10291238

I want to hook up my turntable to the system.

What I've done

1-Plug the home theater system with speakers and all stuff..
2-Plug my turntable in a phono input form a receiver
3-Plug my receiver output in my AUX DVD input
4- Select phono on my receiver and AUX on my DVD

The problem is the sound is very weak (I have to put max volume on DVD to have a little sound) and it only comes out of one speaker and not the surround system. I have a stereo receiver too.

What did I did wrong ? Thank you everyone for helping

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
frmu6 said:
Audio Comp, with RCA wires
bThat makes no sense.Did you use preouts or a tape loop?Model of this receiver would help. Otherwise you can get a decent Recoton Phono preamp for $20-ish bucks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Wow, that is a pretty good receiver...back when RCA actually made it.in the section marked "tape".Use either rec or monitor.I think, not sure, audio component is a preout(meaning the volume knob provides gain). But since it isn't labeled, who knows. That is ambiguous. But rec or monitor will provide line level(which is what you need).

frmu6

Auditioning
Real Name
Frederick
Tried Rec or Monitor and still very little sound at max volume on DVD and Receiver.

And only on the front left speaker (balance is set in the middle)

frmu6

Auditioning
Real Name
Frederick
Bought it used so don't know, but speakers and DVD are new.

When I plug passive speakers in the receiver, I have good sound.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is what I was asking...the receiver itself works.Have you tried changing the RCA cable itself(white to red and vice versa) to rule out a bad cable(yes that happens)?

frmu6

Auditioning
Real Name
Frederick
One problem solved, I switched to an other cable and two sides are working, but still little sound (hardly hear something)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Got me. You have it connected the way I'd do it...By chance...is there a "record from" knob on the front?It might have one if this one is set up to allow separate input playback(over the speakers) and recording. But record out, that is what it is for...sending line level to another device(recording or another amp...itself, is inconsequential)

frmu6

Auditioning
Real Name
Frederick
Thanks a lot

No record knob, only phone

I think i'm gonna plug in some passive speakers, that will do for the moment,

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
frmu6 said:
Thanks a lot No record knob, only phoneI think i'm gonna plug in some passive speakers, that will do for the moment,
I was going to suggest that anyway. A pair of bookshelves with a 4-6" woofer will(believe it or not) outperform the HTiB anyway.Pretty good, yet small...Look up Optimus Linaeum on Ebay. Might swap RCA for Optimus as well. Anyway, sound good, perform better than their size would indicate. Look for a pair with the yellow Kevlar woofers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks