What's new

Home Theater to Go Along with LCD TV (1 Viewer)

txn8tiv

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forums--so I appreciate everyone in advance for their help. I just bought a Samsung LN40A650 and I'd like to get some sort of home theater system to complete it. One of the things I liked about the 650 was that it had 4 HDMI inputs, but looking at a lot of the Home Theater packages out there (I'm not an audiophile, but would like something nice albeit reasonably priced) have zero or one HDMI input. I figured I would just output all the audio through the optical to the stereo system, but doing some more investigation it seems that the Samsungs (and most other LCD manufacturers) don't output HDMI inputted sound on the optical. I was planning on getting a few different accessories, such as an apple tv and/or roku netflix and/or ps3 or whatever...but if this is the case, is there anyway to hook this all up to take full advantage of the stereo system?

I am very grateful for any and all suggestions, comments, and information y'all could provide.

Thanks!

-Josh

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Depends on what YOU call "reasonably priced"?
To have enough inputs, you may need to get away from an HTIB (home theater in a box), and buy separate components. You may want at least 4 HDMI inputs (apple tv and/or roku netflix and/or ps3, and cable/sat box), for easy switching. With a PS3, you'll want to be able to decode the HD audio formats, found on Blu ray movies. Not sure if they even make an HTIB that does that.................yet.

Look at these receivers:
Amazon.com: Yamaha RX-V1800BL 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black): Audio & Video
Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-SR875 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver: Audio & Video

Then you need speakers and a subwoofer. These are very nice, for the price:
http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

You could run the AppleTV's, and cable/sat box's HDMI to tv for video, and optical or digital coax to receiver for audio, and get by with cheaper receivers (2-3 HDMI inputs).
Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-SR606 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black): Audio & Video
Amazon.com: Yamaha RX-V663BL 665 Watt 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver: Audio & Video

txn8tiv

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
Thanks for your suggestions Ed. I suppose I'm not going to be able to find what's going to do the job for the price I want to pay (which is somewhere in the 400-600 range), which is why the home theater's in a box probably don't have what I need.

I guess if I only had two extra devices and something with an HDMI input AND Optical input I could make that work?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
As long as you don't want the HD audio formats from Blu ray, optical inputs will work just fine for you.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Better yet, use component video and coax/optical audio from the units where copy protection and/or HD audio doesn't matter (cable box, DVR, Apple TV, some game consoles) and choose a receiver (such as the Onkyo 606) which converts the component video to HDMI. This would leave your HDMI inputs on the receiver open for the PS3 which would be able to output HD audio via the HDMI. THis setup would give you the best flexibility and still allow A/V switching via the receiver.

Another consideration would be a Harmony remote that does all swithching automatically on all components. Just hit "Watch DVD" or "Watch TV" and all components are configured for the activity chosen, regardless of their current configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yacubjkc
Recent bookmarks