What's new

Home Theater System in a box (1 Viewer)

Russell B

Stunt Coordinator
What are some great 5.1 DD/DTS systems in a box that includes a reciever w/decoder, right/left speakers, rear surrounds, center speaker, and a sub? I want about 75 watts a channel. I want to spend $700-$800. I just want to get the 5.1 experience without breaking the bank. Thanks in advance

kuttaS

Stunt Coordinator
for $700 to $800 you can make ur own system that will be much better. i had the same situation but now i am thinking to get a HK 225 receiver for $299, JBl 5.1 nsp speakers for $350 and a Dvd player for $150. believe me, these low end components can make a much better home theater than in a box ones

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Where on earth are you getting an AVR225 for 299? The lowest I've seen is 349 at J and R (I think...)

MikeTrotter

Agent
Russel, with the market now being flooded with HTIB.I would go demo many systems as possible and decide what have features that you would use the most.Examples would be ease of install,remote being user friendly etc.Denon,Onkyo and Sony make nice HTIB.As far as finding a system in your price range I can't help you much there.I'm not that big fan of HTIB.So take one of your favorite dvd's and a favorite cd and go out and have some fun demoing.BTW,if your looking at systems with built in dvd players make sure they have the right features for your TV.Example if you have a HDTV you might want to look at systems with progressive scan.Hope this helps and have fun demoing.:D

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
hi, there are many good companies that make home theater in a box. but remeber like anything else you get hwat you pay for. i agree that you should go seperate , if you do your home work and either shop on line and look for closeouts you can do mush better. web sites like 6th ave , one call offer good savings as well as no tax (out of state). alot of the better stores can give you great deals on demos and floor modles so keep your opions open. just rember most of the theater in a box have more than there share of distortion at higher volumes. in the long run it might take more leg work but it will be well worth it. your can learn from many of us that have changed our systems countless times in search of the perfect sound and picture. good luck
frankie

kuttaS

Stunt Coordinator
fry's electronics in CA got H/K 225 for $299 as regular price nowadays. if u live in CA, u should also consider ONKYO lsv500c from fry's for $429 (normally) $699. i think for $700, the best HTIB should be one of the ONKYOS but they have really big speakers if you are comfortable with that

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Russell B,

You can build a good entry level setup for $700-800, that will blow a HTIB. JBL is a great company to consider for this pricerage. As well as pioneer for reciever, and sony for sub.

My recommendation is
Pioneer VSX-D912K $300
JBL NSP1 $210
Sony SA-WM500 $135
+ Shipping $65
TOTAL = $710

That will leave you $90 for a DVD player.

Hope it helps,
Pablo

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Fry's is definitely an authorized dealer. If you look on the HK website for the dealer locator and put in zip code 95112, you'll find 5 or 6 listings just in the San Jose area.

Russell B

Stunt Coordinator
I have a dvd player, a Sony DVP-S560D. I also have an Aiwa 8" vented sub that was with my mini stereo system it has a selectable 60hz, 90hz, and 120hz turnover. Maybe i should use that for the sub to save money. The room this will all be in is 10"x13".

Does Yamaha make a good reciver? What is H/K?

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
i would stay away from yamaha it is very bright . hk is harmon kardon . i personally like pioneer elite line not bright at all very warm and open. always look for a close out. you can save alot of money that way. frankie

kuttaS

Stunt Coordinator
if u buying just a receiver and speakers, get a Harman kardon 125 or 225 (best receivers money can buy) and a JBL NSP1 I or II. BTW, FRy's electronics is indeed an authorized dealer.

Jim_Lan

Agent
I bought an Onkyo HTIB for my son for Christmas for about $600. No DVD player. Sounds surprising good on movies, and XBOX.. poor for CD's. Reciever, as I recall was about 75 - 80W.. Nice thing about Onkyo is that each of the units is a regular component sold by Onkyo. So if you want you can grow the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks