Home Theater System complete except for wiring! Need help!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ben Pevarski, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Ben Pevarski

Ben Pevarski Auditioning

I've recently purchased a Samsung-R5067W DLP, a HSU Research VTF-3 HK 2, a DVD-HD850, and Klipsch SB-2 bookshelf speakers. I already have a pair of Klipsch Promedia speakers i'm going to use for rears for the time being, and a center from that same set. My reciever right now is a RCA Professional Series STAV-3870, but i may upgrade if recommended to. I also have a comcast motorola digital cable box. In the next year i'm going to be buying a pair of Klipsch Synergy Floorstand speakers for the fronts, and moving the bookshelf speakers to the rear, and a new center channel. To connect all of the speakers i was going to buy a 100' spool of 12 gauge wiring... and aside from that i don't really know what i need! Also... i just have what comcast gave me to connect the box just to the tv right now(non-hd). Recommendations of what and where to buy would be very appreciated! I'd like to have the best possible picture for as inexpensive as possible... and prices i've seen at monoprice.com seem to be very nice.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Ben.

A couple of things: make sure your front 3 speakers are all from the same make/model. Ideally - all 6 speakers would be a set, but the front 3 are the most important.

If you plan on putting wires in the walls, make sure you do this:

- Buy speaker wire with a CL3/in-wall fire rateing
    - Run 3 sets of wires to the rear to handle a rear-center speaker.

I like your idea of a spool of 12 ga. Just make sure it is oxygen free stuff and that one of the wires has a good indicator for polarity. The "Sound King" brand from www.partsexpress.com is popular.

The included cables can be hit or miss (usually miss), but you are feeding standard-def video to that TV so it really does not matter.

For the DVD player - get a component cable rated for Progressive/HD frequencies. The custom cables from www.bluejeanscables.com is similar to what I use. The same type of cable would be good if you get a HD cable box (highly recommended).

On component cables: "component" is a 1940's video standard. Not designed to handle Progressive or HD video. Unless the cable actually says "rated for HD video" or something like "Bandwidth of 90 (or more) Mhz" - it's not designed for modern video. (It will appear to work, but there is some fine-detail loss using a cable not designed for the higher frequency signals).

Hope you like the Samsung. I'm happy with mine.

3. Ben Pevarski

Ben Pevarski Auditioning

Thanks a lot! I'm thinking about measuring out the 5 distances and then using bluejeanscable and having them send me 5 different lengths of speaker wire. I've also already bought a video component set of wires and a optical audio wire to connect my dvd player. Once i recieve them and set it up, i'll repost and tell everyone what i think.

Thanks again!

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Ben
    When I ran wiring for my house I ran extra and it's come in handy many times.
    Just this week my wife changed a room around and the computer on a different wall.
    Instead of running a new cat 5 I just connected up the ones I already installed and it was quick and easy. Try to look at how things could change .....wire is cheap and it's just as easy to pull 1 or 5
    Grant