Home Theater Suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_MSi, Oct 26, 2001.

1. Mike_MSi

Mike_MSi Auditioning

I'm finally getting around to doing something I've wanted to do for a long time... build a home theater!
    The area I'm considering is about a quarter of our basement, measuring approx. 13 feet wide by 14.5 feet deep. Ceiling height is only 7 feet. There is an air conditioning duct and a support pole in the middle of the room which limits the layout options.
    I've posted some "previsualization" pictures and quicktime movies at:
    http://www.dodgecitytv.com/theater/
    Color scheme and decor is not set at this time. The pictures are primarily to see how things lay out, as well as to "try out" the look.
    If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, I'd love to hear them. One of my major concerns right now is reducing the fan noise from the projector... it will be mounted directly above the back row of seats unless I come up with something else.
    Thanks!
    Mike Nelson

2. Chris Wittry

Chris Wittry Stunt Coordinator

Looks great! What program did you use to model the room? [​IMG]

3. Mike_MSi

Mike_MSi Auditioning

I used Lightwave 3D for the pics and movies. Everything is pretty much to scale, except the screen... I'll probably go more like 6-1/2 or 7 feet wide, which is quite a bit smaller than in the pics.
    Unfortunately, there won't be much head room above the middle-rear seat and I've got to find a way kill some fan noise. I don't have a projector yet, so noise will be a consideration when I'm shopping.
    Mike

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Looks great. I have similar space constraints with a 7ft ceiling. (and a damn pole!) Please keep us posted how it turns out.

5. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

6. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Wow, What a lay out drawing! I can hardly believe the detail. That would be an awesome theater!
    Wes
    ------------------

7. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Some questions:
    Are the chairs and projection tv objects found in the lightwave software?
    If not, I guess you drew them yourself.
    Great job.
    Looks, very, very GOOD!
    How hard is lightwave to use?
    Ok yeah, how did you get the posters on the wall?
    "Remember The Titans", "The Mummy", etc.
    ------------------
    http://thehometheater.tripod.com

8. Mike_MSi

Mike_MSi Auditioning

Thanks for the replies...
    The VW10HT is at the top of my list... I would prefer to spend a little less, but it looks like a lot of bang for the buck. Has anyone acturlly seen the new Piano projectors? It looks interesting, but I thought I wanted a little more resolution.
    I'm really leaning toward a HTPC setup, so I have some more research to do. I'm a Macintosh guy, so I need to get up to speed on PC stuff. It seems thay I may be able to get a better overall image with a less expensive projector, plus being able to have a killer game and music system.
    For those who asked about Lightwave... It's a pretty high-end 3D application used in a lot of TV and feature films (Titanic, Driven, lots of Si-Fi stuff, etc.). At around $2,500 it's not something most people would get just to play with. [​IMG] I use it in my business. All objects are modeled to scale from scratch. Seats are Seating Concepts "Entertainer" series, the projector is a VW10HT, SVS subs, and I stuck in my old Bose 301's for L/R speakers.
    I got the movie poster images off the internet and mapped them on the poster models with a reflective pane of "glass" in front. The updated images and Quicktime movie have "Monsters" playing on the screen instead of the still image. http://DodgeCityTV.com/theater/
    I'm going to replace the front row of seats with a couch and/or recliners and see how that looks... If I dont't get some REAL work done, I'll NEVER get this finished!!
    Mike

9. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Love it, love it, love it.
    I think the pictures look great with real theater seats.
    I love the colors, seats, posters, everything!
    ------------------
    http://thehometheater.tripod.com