What's new

Home Theater suggestions please (1 Viewer)

ramaka

Auditioning
Real Name
Avi
Hi All:
Long time lurker and thanks for the plethora of information. I need your help in deciding what equipment to buy to set up my home theater. I am starting from scratch, so need suggestions for AV Receiver, in ceiling/wall rear speakers or front floor standing speakers (5.1 set up), projector (preferably future proof for at least next couple of years), blu ray player (OK with PS4 as well), sub woofer, 92" screen and a good universal remote to control all these. Price budget around 4-5K and I have set aside $1K for labor. Your time and help would be highly appreciated!
Cheers!
Ramaka!

ramaka

Auditioning
Real Name
Avi
Thanks for the reply. I currently have a Fluance 5.2 set up in the living room and am quite happy with it SQ wise. I got a quote of $8K including labor/setup costs from Best buy for the following:

Epson 5030UB Projector

Screen Innovation 5 Series 92" screen

Definitive Tech Floor standing speakers, Center channel and in ceil speakers

Pioneer Elite 1155W AV Receiver

Blu Ray Player

Universal Remote

Do these sound like a decent HT setup?

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
ramaka said:
Thanks for the reply. I currently have a Fluance 5.2 set up in the living room and am quite happy with it SQ wise. I got a quote of $8K including labor/setup costs from Best buy for the following:
Epson 5030UB Projector
Screen Innovation 5 Series 92" screen
Definitive Tech Floor standing speakers, Center channel and in ceil speakers
Pioneer Elite 1155W AV Receiver
Blu Ray Player
Universal Remote

Do these sound like a decent HT setup?
This does sound decent. If the Epson is an LCD projector, it can be prone to convergence issues, but many people still are very happy with them. After quite a bit of research, I went with DLP, specifically Optoma, where I was able to buy refurbished from their website at a great price. 4k is here, probably followed closely by 8k, so future proofing is not realistic, and is not particularly critical anyway, since there's so little to watch in 4k and the standards are still being worked out. This situation is likely to continue for a number of years.
Def Tech is a solid, well-reputed name, particularly in home theater. Since preferences in speakers differ widely, I'd recommend hearing them yourself in your own space of possible, before committing. I don't think ceiling speakers will get you anything close to the performance of conventional speakers, but you can get away with them in the surrounds if you're not too particular.
I don't know enough about your screen choice to comment, but Pioneer is a solid receiver choice. You didn't mention the brand of Blu Ray player, but as long as it's a name brand (Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony), you should be ok.
I would stress that proper positioning of the speakers is critical to a good result, and I would consider a subwoofer a must. Rythmik, SVS and Hsu Research are 3 reputable sub manufacturers. Bass management is also important: you can research this yourself, but ALL speakers should be set to "small", with a 80 hz cutoff for best results. Finally, I'd consider room treatment. GIK Acoustics offers free room analysis and reasonable process. Hope this helpful, and best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks