Home Theater Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by joelJ, Nov 25, 2004.

1. joelJ

joelJ Auditioning

I am in the process of building a new home theater system. I will be using the Denon 2800 series DVD player, the Denon 3800 Reciever, the tv is the Mitsubishi DLP. Now it is the speakers I need. I am looking at the Klipsh RF-7 floor speakers with the matching center and surrounds. I found I can get them for $750/pr online. What I am wondering is... are there other speakers I should be looking at instead in the same price range? the $750 was the price for the floor standing front speakers. Any one know about these or have any thoughts?

2. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

go to a store and audition speakers that's the best advice I can give since your preference may be different than mine, I personally don't like the sound of horn tweeters like klipsh uses

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Since you're asking for specific-model advice on speakers I've moved your thread to here. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level. Thank you.

4. Daniel.Han

Daniel.Han Stunt Coordinator

I'd agree with Stephen. The best way to be happy is by buying what your ears like. I also personally don't like Klipsch, but I know plenty of people who do. At the price range you are looking at you should also consider some nice bookshelves from companys like Monitor Audio, Polk (LSi series) B&W, Energy, Paradigm, etc.. to name a few. Just pick out a favorite CD and go listen in some audio stores one weekend. You'll quickly find out what you like in terms of sound.

5. joelJ

joelJ Auditioning

I have looked at some B&K at a local store. They didnt seem to want to let me listen to them. Probably since I didn't have the money with me at the time. I just feel strange waisting local sales people's time when I know I won't buy from them, because they want $1,000 for the pair and I can get them for $750 online. you know?

6. Nick Bum

Nick Bum Stunt Coordinator

Dude just to let you know we dont mind you coming in and wasting our time because we really have nothing better to do. Just dont ask dumb questions lol like explain to me how a speaker works, or explain to me how to hook up my speakers to my reciever. I worked at circuit city for a year and got these questions all the time. So yeah we really have nothing to do except just talk to eachother so come in and listen it gives us something to do.

7. joelJ

joelJ Auditioning

Ok, I know of a place that has B&W and Energy. I am thinking of B&W DM604 S3 or Energy C-5, I would also like to compair them the the Infinity Primus. out of thoes what do you think, all pretty much comperable?

8. MatthewTB

MatthewTB Auditioning

Joel,

I just picked up a pair of c-5's yesterday for $380. At that price I could not pass them up. Can not tell you much about them yet, but I have been using c-3's as my mains for awhile and I really liked them just seemed a little small for the room and set-up, but now as rears the c-3's sound great.

Matt

9. joelJ

joelJ Auditioning

Anyone know about the Klipsch Synergy speakers? Good, Bad, anything?