Home Theater Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Tim - W, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Tim - W

Tim - W Extra

I am putting together a system that will primarily be for watching movies, but will include music listening as well. Obviously, I would like the best of both worlds, but would rather have a stronger movie audio system. I have purchased an Onkyo DVD Player and an Onkyo A/V Receiver. I need to figure out the best speaker system to go along with that. My price range is not that high and I will upgrade a couple of years down the road. I want a complete system with fronts, center, subwoofer and rear in-ceiling speakers (house is pre-wired for such). I would like to try to keep it to $800 or less. What is everyone's recommendation?

2. JunoVazquez

JunoVazquez Stunt Coordinator

I'm sold with Polk Audio speakers, look into their products. The in-ceiling is throwing me off when I see the $800 budget.

If you are willing to compromise; since you will be upgrading; would you consider using a speaker bracket for your surrounds?

3. JunoVazquez

JunoVazquez Stunt Coordinator

I'm sold with Polk Audio speakers, look into their products. The in-ceiling is throwing me off when I see the $800 budget.

If you are willing to compromise; since you will be upgrading; would you consider using a speaker bracket for your surrounds? I just helped setting up my friend's HT and he purchased the RTi3x series from Crutchfield shipped for less than $800 came with CSi40 center.

4. Tim - W

Tim - W Extra

BTT

5. John S

John S Producer

The in cieling is the tough part.

I have no inexpesnive solutions for that one.

6. Tim - W

Tim - W Extra

From what I have seen I can get a polk system through crutchfield close to this range. It would consist of the following:

Front - RTi38 = $250
    Center - CSi30 = $150
    Sub - PSW303 = $300
    Ceiling - RC60i = $180
    Credit - =

or

Front - RTi38 = $250
    Center - CSi3 = $200
    Sub - PSW404 = $400
    Ceiling - RC60i = $180
    Credit - =

Apparently, crutchfield is offering a $200 credit on subs if you spend $500 or more on polk speakers. Additionally, I could get the Infinity Entra Theater System which normally retails for $900 and is on sale for $500 and then just add some Infinity in-ceiling speakers (ERS 110) for $250.

If anyone has any opinions of these, please let me know.