Home Theater Speakers for $3000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Yuri, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Scott Yuri

Scott Yuri Stunt Coordinator

OK. I thank all of you for your input on the receiver. I have that narrowed finally to the Marantz 8200 or the Rotel RSX-972. To go with these I so far like the:

Paradigm 11's

CC-370

PW-2200

Minis.

Def Tech BP10B

CLR 2000

PF15TL

BP2Xs.

Lastly

Ruark Preludes

Dialogue One

Log Rythm

Epilogues

Naturally, I can't find any place that I can do side by side on these any input on what else to listen to or what to rule out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

PSB Stratus Minis 2 pair(should be about $1200-$1400 used for both pairs)

PSB Stratus C5i($500)

PSB Image 10S($450 pair)

SVS 16-46 CS+ with Samson S700 amp $1049

That is a little above your budget but you can substitute another pair of Image 10S speakers for the rear Stratus Minis or PSB Image 2Bs for the rears and surrounds if you prefer direct radiating speakers. Doing that would put it back under budget.

The bass performance with the SVS should be substantially better than the Def. Tech sub and the PSB sub.

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Since you're spending the big bucks, personally I would try to go for an identical set across the front, like 3 identical speakers. Dialogue intelligibility will be better throughout the room with a non MTM style center channel.
    Of the three systems you mention, I like the Paradigm best, but you might consider dropping the Monitor 11's down a bit and getting a more capable sub, though the 2200 is no slouch [​IMG]

4. Scott Yuri

Richard - I also was thinking about that. I'd probably opt for the SVS 20-39PC.

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

For me the choice is easy. For you it may be much harder. I'd go for nOrh marble 4.0s for $1,600 or SM (synthetic marble) 6.9 package for $1,500 and the SVS 20-39CS+ w/amp for $999 plus shipping.

6. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

Take a look at the Mirage OM line.Their beautiful looking as they are sounding.They are omnipolar and can really putout some sound.Just a suggestion.

Don't knock it till you try it!

7. Scott Yuri

I have listened to the Mirages, but not with Rotel or Marantz power. It was through a Denon 3802. I didn't like them as much as the Monitor 11's. Thanks though. Where can nOrhs be listened to?

8. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Scott, consider using Studio-40 x 4, Studio CC, and SVS for a sub. Monitor 11 is nice if you are using them without sub - with a sub you can as well go for Studio-40. As a matter of fact, one of recommended Paradigm configurations is S-40 + PW-2200. You can also use Studio-20 for rear, and look at Studio-ADP for sides.

_zjt

9. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

With the nOrhs you will have to listen to them at someone's house or apartment. Several people in Texas have them so you may want to ask around here or at HD. If I'm not mistaken there are a couple in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that have them, including Ryan Schnacke who posts here.

10. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I'll second the PSB Stratus line & SVS combo..... Mine sounds mavvvelouuuuuuuussssssss [​IMG]

11. Eric Wood

Eric Wood Stunt Coordinator

$2700 for a pair of VMPS RM-2 neos-down to 20hz! http://www.vmpsaudio.com/rmdoc1.htm
    $500 Center channel QSO 626 Special edition http://www.vmpsaudio.com/ps1.htm
    Just think of that $200 bucks as the best damned money spent. :b Now this is unheard, but at HarmonicDiscord.com there is a VMPS forum that has absolutely 0 negative reviews of their products.
    I just heard the Norh 6.9's last weekend, they sing!!
    The look may not be what you like, I personally adore it. They go for a cool $1000 a pair. No real need for subwoofer in music, HT is different. 5 of these would be sweet, then get a single SVS-39! I preferred (in person) the green over the black simulated marble. The red looks pretty sweet at the norh site!

12. Scott Yuri

Well, today I think I found what I'm looking for. I heard JM Lab Chorus 725 speakers on a Yamaha RX-V1200. These speakers were significantly better than the PSB Silvers. I also heard the rest of the set up in HT hooked to a Yamaha RX-V1 (seriously nice equipment by the way) and it was really sweet. I immediately went to re-listen to the Paradigm Monitor 11's through the RX-V1200. And they lost IMO. JM Lab HT =

Chorus 725 x 2 - $1200

Chorus 705 x 2 - $300

Chorus CC 700 - $350 (sounds unbeleivable)

Chorus SW700 - $650 (still thinking of swapping for SVS)

But this all falls into the budget and the sonic taste.

Did I mention I feel better now. Trying to Christmas shop and fight a serious case of HT upgrade is almost more than I can take.

13. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Enjoy! (But swap out the Chorus sub for the SVS. You know you want to. :p))

14. Scott Yuri

Bryan - more than likely that will be the deal. The SVS is only a little more. And, besides the neighbors are cool![​IMG]

15. Bryant Brunner

Scott- where did you audition the JM Labs in Dallas?

16. Scott Yuri

Bryant - The place is called Audio Insight 601 W. Plano Parkway 972-881-3822. It's just west of 75 on Plano Parkway on the left if you're heading east. I spoke with Larry and he spent a good deal of time with me. Very informative.