What's new

Home Theater Speaker Size/Placement Issue (1 Viewer)

JonnyB

Grip
Hey Gang -

I am setting up a home theater in my newly finished basement family room. The primary use will be for movies / TV. I'll be putting in a new Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma in a wall unit of sorts that was built for the space. I have two options for the placement of the front L/R speakers:

1) Place to the sides of the TV. There is about 10" on each side of the TV, so speakers will need to be of the tall/skinny variety. (Aren't all good things of that description ;)

2) Alternatively I could place more bookshelf-oriented speakers on the shelf above the TV.

I've been led to believe that the placement above is not "correct" for home theater install since the sound source will be so much higher than the seating area. But it's hard to find good skinny tall speakers. I'm looking to spend around $2,500 max total on front/center/rear. I've got a HSU Sub from my previous setup that I'll carry over to this one.

Any thoughts on the side vs. above placement? Any speaker suggestions?

Thanks

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

How long has it been since you were last in the market? Many, if not most bookshelf, and tower speakers are narrower than 10 inches. Now, whether they can work well in such a confined space is another story...

But, don't limit yourself.

JonnyB

Grip
Thanks Jeremy. It has been quite some time, so I'm definitely starting from scratch in this process. Which leads me to a related question which I'll pose in a new post...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks