What's new

Home theater speaker brands (1 Viewer)

Russ Rimmerman

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ
Hi all,

We're building a new home and the builder's subcontractor who does the wiring etc is trying to sell us a package of Paradigm speakers. The company who we've used in the past to install some wiring and our TV is saying the brand "Episode" is a good choice.

I'm looking on Amazon and Parts-Express and seeing MUCH less expensive 6 1/2" in-wall speakers to choose from, but I also know you get what you pay for (usually).

With that said, are Episode and Paradigm worth all that $$ as compared to the others? I see some $150 Polk Audios on Amazon that seem to be much more in my price range but don't want to be disappointed either. Also for a 14x14 media room, would a I be happier with a 10" or 12" sub and what's a good brand there also?

TIA

Glen B2

Agent
Real Name
Glen
Until this thread I had never heard of the Episode brand. I Googled the name and found their website. Their products appear nice, but it takes more that that to develop a good reputation. Polk and Paradigm are well known brands. I have used Paradigm speakers in my home theater system in the past. Parts Express has some decent speakers under the Dayton brand name. I use a pair of their subs in my HT system. I see no reason to not go with the Paradigm speaker package. Their speakers are very good. In general you will find that a 12" sub will go several Hertz lower than a 10". My personal choice would be to go with the 12" sub.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Paradigm is a well know higher-end brand. I've never heard of Episode; but it might be e common builder brand.

That said, there's zero doubt that for even close to the same price I'd go with Paradigm.

Polk has speakers in the low to mid tier, so for tham you'd have to be more explicit about model.

Russ Rimmerman

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ
The builder has two packages for the Paradigm, the higher end package comes with the wiring, some wall insulation, sconces, and Paradigm CS series speakers for Dolby 7.1 not including sub for $2299 and the next level down is the middle tier Paradigm PV series speakers without sub for $1499.

macfan601

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Polks are very decent speakers. You get a lot of bang for the buck. The most economical place to get them is from Polk's outlet store on eBay. They also are quite frequently on sale at Best Buy and Newegg. Polk has sort of a strange setup. Their offices are in Boston, Massachusetts while their factory/warehouse is in Vista, California. In any case they have great customer service and ship via Fed Ex quickly. I have them in both my upstairs and downstairs home theaters and am very pleased with them.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Russ Rimmerman said:
The builder has two packages for the Paradigm, the higher end package comes with the wiring, some wall insulation, sconces, and Paradigm CS series speakers for Dolby 7.1 not including sub for $2299 and the next level down is the middle tier Paradigm PV series speakers without sub for $1499.
Which CS? 80? 60?

Which PV?

Just for giggles...I spec $120 per hour on installation. If it is a known two person job, $220 per hour(and those two costs are factored separate).

Everything is a minimum of 1 hour. 7 in-wall speakers...is 7 hours...I don't care if it only takes 3 hours. Ask a book rate mechanic to charge less than book...

What you've got there is roughly $1500 on CS speakers with 7 hours of book labor.

Welcome to not doing it yourself...

Russ Rimmerman

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ
OK so I figured out the $1499 and $2199 weren't packages which included the wiring, sconces, and insulation like I thought, they were only the speakers (no sub). So we now have pre-wire only. So I have to now figure out which speakers to get, which subs (I want to do two) to get, which projector to get, and which receiver to get. Suggestions?

How hard is it to install speakers when they've pre-wired everything already? Cut drywall, place it in?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
In-walls are usually very easy to install. They should come with a template for the cutout. Most of them lock in place by turning a locking device via screwdriver from the front of the speaker.

It might help to caulk the inside of the wall cavity and add some Acousti-stuff for sound dampening.

Here's a couple of pictures from some MS in-walls I have listed in the classifieds. you can get a good idea of how they mount by looking at the pictures.

049.jpg

048.jpg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you mount your own in-walls, I'd have them simply drop the wire in the wall cavity, then cut your own holes. If they cut the holes, they might as well put the speakers in. Cut to install takes about 20 minutes. Cutting the hole is 15 minutes of it(marking the template, jig-saw the hole).

If you've never used a jig saw, go get a broken piece of drywall(they'll probably give you one for buying the saw and blades) to practice on.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Even a jig saw can be overkill. I use a $15 oscillating tool from Harbor Freight to cut drywall. It may be a little slower but there is zero effort and you can easily follow a template taped to the wall. Heck, I've even cut drywall holes with a carpet cutting knife.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When we were building, my electrician and I agreed on how to pre-wire. I marked where I wanted junction boxes and he drilled out the top plate for me. On the weekend, I went in and ran all of my speaker wire. I'd rather have floor standing speaker than in-wall.

Also for a 14x14 media room, would a I be happier with a 10" or 12" sub and what's a good brand there also?
I don't know what makes you happy. What makes me happy is feeling the vibration when a T-Rex is walking towards my car or a alien space ship is coming up out of the ground. My room is 12x20 and I'm currently running dual 15" subs in 3 cubic foot sealed boxes with 800w going to each of them. Sometime this spring I'll be upgrading to ported boxes and adding at least an 18". I have a 21" sub still in the shipping carton that I could use as well.

Brands. I DIY but if I didn't I'd go with Power Sound Audio (a forum sponsor), SVS, Hsu Research or Reaction Audio. If those are out of your budget then Dayton and BIC are popular brands that cost less.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Robert_J said:
Even a jig saw can be overkill. I use a $15 oscillating tool from Harbor Freight to cut drywall. It may be a little slower but there is zero effort and you can easily follow a template taped to the wall. Heck, I've even cut drywall holes with a carpet cutting knife.

I like my power tools.

A variable speed jig with drywall blade is fabulous. The reason I recommend a jig, is the plate makes a flat cut foolproof.

cchunter

Auditioning
Real Name
Chad
Even though I'm a Klipsch fanboy I think the new Paradigm prestige series looks incredible and the reviews so far have been excellent. Little pricey but if you can afford it and cosmetics are high priority then these should satisfy. These do not belong behind an AT screen!
755309554bc4ba69d04e (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks