Home Theater Sound System project please HELP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dani Anton, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Dani Anton

Dani Anton Auditioning

Nov 6, 2002
    I heard great things about HT Forum and how much help I could get here.
    I am on the market for a HT / audio system. My project is to build the best setup for the buck in my apartment.
    To best describe my situation I will start by saying that I live in an apartment building. The room where the HT will be is 19x17 ft. I have to mention that this will be used as both living room and HT room.
    Usage of the HT and listening to audio is about 50-50. Therefore I would like to have a system, which will be good for both. My expense limit on this project is about $5000.00. Searching the Internet I found a nice PTV (Mitsubishi 55511) for about $2650.
    The question that I am asking is what would be the best audio set up (Receiver, DVD and speakers) that I could get for the rest of $24-2500.00?
    Any suggestions and advices would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Jul 19, 2002
    To help you break down that budget, i would use about $1500 for speakers/sub, $700 for receiver, and $200 for DVD.

In this range, for the receiver i would look at the Pioneer 43TX and the Denon 3802. For DVD i would look at the Panasonic RP62, RP82, and CP72.

For speakers, i would look at the Paradigm System Three.2. It consists of 2 Esprit mains, a CC-170, and a pair of ADP-170 surrounds, and a PDR-12 sub. Add a pair of Focus surrounds for the back channels and you would have a great 7.1 setup for around $1500.

Hope this helps.
  3. Dan Workman

Dan Workman Extra

Aug 19, 2002
    I have a Mitsubishi WS-55819 TV and I am very, very happy with it. I can also recommend the Toshiba SD4800 DVD player. What I did was purchase both of these about 3-4 months ago and have been waiting until I could save money for the receiver/speakers/sub. I have been looking at the Paradigm Performance and Monitor lines for speakers, SVS for subs and the Marantz 5200/6200/7200 for receivers. I have heard lots of good things about all of these products and I feel that in their various price points, they provide a great deal of value. Just my 2 cents...