What's new

Home theater size ratio (1 Viewer)

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I'm considering building a house and in the basement there WILL be a HT built. My question is what is the ratio of length to width that should be used (I.E. should the the length be twice as long as the width)?

Thanks

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
It depends on the video system. With front projection, length double the width should be a good measure. I would think you would want something at least 16' wide, and maybe around 24' long if possible.

Chad Anson

Second Unit
Check out the posts by Dennis Erskine -- he really knows his stuff:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=ratios
Here's an excerpt from one of Dennis' replies:
Assuming, however, the mystical, magical blank paper came my way, no I would not build to one of those ratios. I would first build to the owner's other requirements (I want 4 rows of seating -- insert type of seating, for 20 people, all NBA stars, a 20' wide screen, don't wanna hear a peep out of the room, etc., etc., etc. In the overall scheme of things, room modes are extremely easy to deal with ... even after the fact. You cannot deal with 10 people in a 10'x15' space with 7' ceilings after the fact.

Scott Holt

Agent
Hey Jake. I don't know if you found an answer but I just talked to one of the screen manufacturers and they tell me to get full immersion you need to be at a distance of 2.5-3 times the height of a 16/9 ratio screen. Example: in a 45 x 80 = 92in diag. screen you should take 2.5x 45 = 112.5 or a little over 9 feet and up to 3 x 45 = 135 or a little over 11 feet max. This is what they told me to get total immersion. Hope this is what you wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks