Home Theater Setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Quincy, Dec 10, 2001.

1. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

OK. I just bought all the new toys I need for my new Home Theater. [​IMG] Here is what I bought:
    Kenwood VR509 Receiver
    JBL NSP-1 Speakers
    Sony SA-WM40 Sub
    Panasonic RV31K DVD Player
    Existing:
    Older 25" Magnavox TV w/o S-Video/Component Video
    Panasonic 4 Head VCR (4610)
    What I need is some help on cable selection. I know for the speakers I will be going with Sound King 12 Ga. Wires from Parts Express. Here are the quetions I have:
    1. Is it worth it to get banana plugs? Are the a convenience? or do they serve some other purpose?
    2. What kind of cable do I get for the sub? Should I just buy the Acoustic Research AP053 from Best Buy? Or are they other choices?
    3. For the DVD player is it worth getting the optical cable for the audio portion?
    4. Component cables: Are they worth it for the setup I have? Primary concern being the TV w/o these connections.
    5. What cables should I hook to the VCR? Do I just use a regular coax like I do now to the TV?
    Thanks. Any other suggestions/helpful hints would be fine

2. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

The banana plugs are basically a convenience but they also keep wire strands from touching and will possible help to slow oxidation.

For the sub, just a digital coax is fine. AR, monster or something similar.

I use a digital coax from my DVD but some people prefer optical.

Component cables are definitely better than plain old RCA and slightly (maybe) better than S-video. You decide.

3. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Welcome to the HTF John.

1) I'd go with bananna plugs. Sure they are a convienece but they also provide a better connection to the back of the A/V reciever. Radio Shack Gold Series

2) A regular ole 75 ohm rated RCA cable will do fine. I wouldn't spend that much money on the Monster stuff, go to Radio Shack and get thier Gold Series cables. It'll probably end up saving you about 10 bucks on the sub cable alone.

3) You are probably better off getting the toslink (opti)

cable. Why run multiple cables when you can run a single cable and most likley get better sound quality out of it?

Again, Radio Shack sells these cables at resonable prices.

4) If your TV doesn't have these inputs then there is no reason to get component cable at this time. IME, hooking up component or s-video cables from DVD source to reciever but then not having component/s-video inputs on Video Monitor ends up displaying a picture no better than with regular RCA inputs.

5) You could continue using the coax connection or you could use RCA cables for L/R audio and one for video.

I hope this helps alittle.

Brian

4. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

Brian,

Do you have any parts numbers for Radio Shack?

Also, for the VCR you said to use three cables, are these cables going to transmit the signal to the receiver and then from the receiver to the VCR? I still want to use it to record shows and such. Thanks.

Damian

5. Brian Mansure

Single RCA cable for sub - http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1520
    Bananna Plugs - http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=278%2D306
    RCA cables for VCR hookup - http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1509
    Toslink (fiber optic cable) -
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1580
    Look around the Radio Shack website... you'll find what you're looking for.
    I have an older Zenith TV (probably alot like your TV) which only has 1 set of RCA inputs and 1 coax input so, since my Kenwod VR-309 does video switching I hooked everything up through the receiver. I can record TV programs just fine and also enjoy VCR movies in Dolby Pro-Logic.
    Good Luck.

6. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

Brian, sorry to bug you with this, but could I use those RCA cables that you have for the VCR to connect the DVD to the receiver and use them as "component" cables? Thanks.

7. Brian Mansure

You're not bugging me.

And yes, as long as the RCA cables are each 75 ohm rated I'm pretty sure it's okay to use them for the component hook up. At least others here on the HTF have reported no problems that I can recall.

Good Luck,

Brian

8. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

John, also rememeber that the only way you can get DD/DTS is via either an optical cable or digital coax cable. But, as I own one, the Panny RV31 only offers toslink optical output, so just get one of them.

9. Matt Lando

Matt Lando Agent

"John, also rememeber that the only way you can get DD/DTS is via either an optical cable or digital coax cable. But, as I own one, the Panny RV31 only offers toslink optical output, so just get one of them."

Sorry for the newbie question here, but could you please clarify the statement I pasted above? You are talking about the audio cables (left & right) that go from the output of the DVD player to the input of the receiver correct? I am currently using a monster audio cable to make this connection. I bought the cable a long time ago but I don't remember seeing anything that said digital or optical on the package. Are you telling me that this cable I am using cannot provide me with the DD/DTS signal? This cable has to be fiber optic or digital?

10. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

Matt,
    In case of the Panasonic DVD that I am buying, you need a digital Optical cable to go between the DVD and the receiver so you can take full advantage of DD/DTS sound on the DVD. The cable is also known by Toslink.
    An example of this cable is:
    Acoustic Research Cable

11. Brian Mansure

Matt,

Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS are "digital" formats.

Most DVD players these days pass both formats and or have internal decoders.

To hear the DD/DTS surround sound from a player that passes DD/DTS you have to connect your DVD player to a reciever using a toslink (fiber optic) or digital coax cable.

The reciever or seperate sound processor should have DD/DTS decoders which will send the DD5.1 or DTS surround sound signal to your 6 speakers.

If your DVD player has an internal decoder for DD/DTS then you can connect the DVD player to your reciever using 6 RCA type cables from each individual surround sound channel.

Using just 3 regular RCA cables (red,white,yellow) for L/R audio and video to connect your current DVD player to your reciever or straight to a video monitor is eliminating the "digital" connection and therfore you are not getting DD or DTS surround sound.

HTH,

Brian

12. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

Just bought some cables from Radio Shack, I found a 3 ft component cable for $10.99 (15-1507C). I'm going to use this instead of the 12 ft cables (15-1509). I also picked up the cable for the subwoofer (15-1520).

They had some other 6 ft component cable (15-1563?) with different colors and a price tag of like $39.99. I asked what the difference was, and I was told "better shielding". Of course it doesn't mention anything about this on the box.

Thanks everyone for your help. I am ordering some speaker wire from Partsexpress.com - Sound King 12 ga 100' roll. Anything else beyond that will be from Home Depot.

13. Matt Lando

Matt Lando Agent

Thanks. I see my DVD player has both outputs. Which is better... optical or digital coax?

14. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Matt, I dont think you want to open that can of worms, some users will get all bent out of shape for merely asking the question. The best advice for that question is to search the forum history. [​IMG]

15. AvinashM

AvinashM Auditioning

OK. I just bought all the new toys I need for my new Home Theater. Here is what I bought:

Kenwood VR509 Receiver

JBL NSP-1 Speakers

Sony SA-WM40 Sub

Panasonic RV31K DVD Player

Existing:

Older 25" Magnavox TV w/o S-Video/Component Video

Panasonic 4 Head VCR (4610)

hi john,

do you mind sharing with us where you bought these

and what was the cost ? i am interested in a similar system

and love to get price comparison. thanks.

regards,

avinash.

16. John_Quincy

John_Quincy Agent

Kenwood VR509 $299 + tax (Circuit City)
    Panasonic RV31K $161 ish (OneCall.com)
    JBL NSP-1 Speakers $302 ish (BestPRiceAudioVideo.com) - JandR is out of stock until early Jan 2002.
    Sony SA-WM40 Haven't bought this yet. Waiting for Best Buy sale [​IMG]

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

John,

Your system is going to kick some major booty!!!!

18. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

John, good luck with your new system! [​IMG] I just have one suggestion concerning the calibration of your speakers.
    The tones from some receivers are often not very accurate, so although you're setting them all to the same reading on the SPL meter, they can actually be off. I found this to be the case with my Kenwood VR-507 (and others have discovered this with other receiver brands as well).
    If you're not ready to shell out the cash for Avia or Video Essentials yet, there are some DVDs that have a section on them called Optimode that you can use to set speaker levels. The one I used is Fight Club (there are others that I've heard mentioned but can't think of which ones they are right now) and this is how I discovered that my receiver's tones were off by quite a bit.....the amount they were off varied from channel to channel which is what really makes them useless for calibration.
    I confirmed that the Optimode tones on Fight Club were actually 75dB by checking them against the tones on the Video Essentials disc that I borrowed from a friend....hope this helps.
    Enjoy! [​IMG]

19. AvinashM

AvinashM Auditioning

hi john,

thanks for the clarification...

-avinash.

quote ----------

Kenwood VR509 $299 + tax (Circuit City)

Panasonic RV31K $161 ish (OneCall.com)

JBL NSP-1 Speakers $302 ish (BestPRiceAudioVideo.com) - JandR is out of stock until early Jan 2002.

Sony SA-WM40 Haven't bought this yet. Waiting for Best Buy sale

20. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator