Home Theater Setup?

Zoltan72

Auditioning
Real Name
George
Hey guys, I just found this forum. It looks like there is a lot of great info on here. Hopefully I can help.

One of the biggest problems I have encountered in the past is the technology(age) differences in my components. I would really like some recommendations/ comments on my setup. Currently, I have the following:

Onkyo TX-SR701
Panasonic DVD
Sony Bravia 40" LCD
Motorola HD Converter (Cable)

This is what I have set up:

DVD Audio- to receiver via optical audio
DVD Video- to TV via component video

HD converter audio- to receiver via optical audio
HD converter video- to TV via HDMI

Receiver audio- to speakers

Does it make sense to run video through the receiver? I used to have it set up that way before going HD and I had receiver on-screen programming but not any more. Should I have the component video going from the dvd to the reciever to the TV? This is not an option with the HD tuner as my receiver does not have a HDMI connection.

Also, I have a LG DR1F9H DVD Recorder that I want to hook up instead of the Panasonic DVD player as the LG has HDMI video and optical audio. How is the best way to hook this up with what I got? I assume the audio is the same as the way I have the Panasonic hooked up now and the video going to the TV directly via HDMI but specifically, how about the cable? Do I need a splitter?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just want the best performance with what I got.

Thanks

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Real Name
Wayne
Welcome to the Forum, Zoltan! I’ll try to tackle a few of your questions.

I assume you mean for recording purposes. You’ll get a better picture recording from the connection jacks rather than the antenna signal. Unfortunately, the LG is limited on rear panel inputs – only composite video and analog audio (yellow, red and white jacks). The cable box probably has those outputs – send them to the LG’s inputs. There won’t be a problem, functionally speaking, with it recording composite video and playing back component video.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davefromlondon