1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Home theater setup

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JorgeG, Jul 28, 2004.

1. JorgeG

JorgeG Extra

Hi, my name is Jorge Gadea from Tampa, Fl and I wanted to get some advice from any of you knowledgeable audiophiles out there. I'm fairly new to HT but I have a true appreciation for true sound. I'm putting together HT 6.1 setup. Already have in-ceiling surround rears and rear center (Speakercraft AIMones, [email protected]) Room is 24'Lx14'W with cathedral ceiling, wood floor. Thinking of getting Martin Logans Ascents vs Aeons ([email protected])for fronts & ML Cinema ([email protected]) for center. Also have 4 pair inceiling Speakercraft(40W-100W) inside house (Zone 2) Question- Would Yamaha 1400 with a separate amp to drive the Logans be enough to make this setup sound great? If so, would appreciate brand names +/- model #'s and configuration recommendations to help make this a reality! Thanks in advance.

Jorge G.

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Hi Jorge,
    Since the ML's are 4 ohm, you will probably need a power amp as you are already aware. For a quality setup like that, I would get a dedicated pre amp and power amp instead of a receiver. Outlaw Audio has a few combinations that might work and they have a very good reputation.
    www.outlawaudio.com Also, check out B&K, Rotel, Anthem, or see what you're Martin Logan dealer recommends. You could use a receiver for a pre-amp only for the theater, and use the receiver's internal amp to power the 2nd zone.
    Hope this helps

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jorge, since you are asking for specific purchase advice regarding speakers I've moved your thread here, to Speakers/Subwoofers. Please note that the Basics area is strictly for general discussion at the beginner level, not for specific advice on purchasing decisions. Thanks, and good luck on your search.

4. JorgeG

JorgeG Extra

Thanks for the advice Graham, I was leaning towards the separates, but I always like to get as much information/advice as I can. Thanks again.

jorge