Home Theater Setup ?s

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Ryan_N, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Ryan_N

Ryan_N Auditioning

I'm looking into putting together a home theater setup. I will be using it for 35% XBox, 35% TV, 30% DVD Movies/Shows/Concerts. Here are my ideas:

TV
    -Toshiba 36" HDTV 4:3 CRT

Receiver
    -Yamaha RX-V2400
    -Denon 3803 (If I can get near the $700 for the Yamaha)

CD Player
    -Denon DCM-280

DVD Player
    -Denon 910

Speakers
    -JBL NSP 1 with N38s or N28s for mains
    -Fluance SX-HTB
    -Rocket ELT (w/o sub)
    -Axiom M22i, VP150
    -JBL S310II, S26, S Center
    -Fluance SV-10, AV-BP2, AV-SC

Sub
    -HSU STF-2
    -SVS 25-31PCi

So what do you people think? I would like to spend the least amount for the best system possible. I'm coming from a Walmart Durabrand 5.1 System that cost me $80, so I will be amazed by anything. I would like to spend less than $1500 for speakers shipped, less than $300 for the DVD player, Less than $600 for the sub (shipped), less than $750 for the receiver, less than $200 for the CD player, and around $1600 shipped for the TV.

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

If you go w/ the JBL N-Series or anything from Fluance i think it would be over-buying to get a Yamaha 2400 or Denon 3803. Even the other choices are giving more of your budget to receiver than speakers. It's usually reccomended that you spend more on speakers than receiver. I would look at the Denon 1804 and 2803, Pioneer Elite 43TX, Sony 1000ES, Yamaha 1400, or some of the other receiver in the $500ish price range as mor appropriate match to the speakers you've picked out. That said, the Studio series speakers offer amazing bang for the buck at the slashed prices they're available for. I think the Studio setup you've picked out would be the best of those listed. The S38s have always been considered the jewel of the Studio series and would reccomend them all the way around. This matched w/ a S-Center, $500 receiver, and SVS would be amazing.

For the price ranges you listed near the bottom of your post it looks like you're willing to spend much more on speakers than the choices you've listed would cost. I would look at the B-Stock sale from www.av123.com on the onix rockets as well as the Swan's Diva line from www.theaudioinsider.com . These would be more appropriate matches to the receivers you originaly mentioned. Also, the bigger Axiom systems are within your budget if you don't get their sub.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Ryan_N

Ryan_N Auditioning

Well I was looking at those receivers because they do component video upconversion. I really only want one set of component cables going to the TV set. It would be really nice to just set it on one input for the TV and do all of the switching on the receiver.

4. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

AV123 can give you a deal with the ELTs and a Denon. Also, they are running a special for the ELTs (not sure how it works without the sub) that includes a $200 remote for free [​IMG]

Of the speakers you listed, I'd go with the ELTs, Axioms, or JBL S-series. As for the subs, those 2 are nice onces. Why not the VTF-2? Also, AV123 are having a b-stock sale (like the above post mentioned) on the Rocket UFW10 subs for $400. Not sure if they have any left.

Can't really help you with the TV choices, as I've been out of that arena for quite a while. Why not go with a widescreen, if you're going with HDTV? Also, be sure to get one with DVI (and firewire, if it's available)....don't waste you time with getting a built-in antenna decoder at this time (cost is way too much vs. cost of a stand-alone STB).

Also, just curious why you would want a CD player and a DVD player? The DVD player would accomplish what you want with a CD player, unless you want to use the CD player elsewhere. Not sure how much a price difference is between the Denon 910 and 2200, but the 2200 is a universal player, in case you want to step up to DVD-Audio and SACD some day. It also has a better graphics chip than the 910. I just bought a pioneer 563A myself (another universal player) for $150. The picture is not quite as good as the 2200 (I've had the unit on loan from a friend), but definitely not worth the $400 difference between it and the Denon....at least to my taste and display unit (55" mits widescreen).

5. Bob_Campbell

Bob_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

Ryan,

To HELL with the 36" toshiba. You can goto best buy and get the 46h83 for about 1499 and about 1550 shipped!

If you have the room for it get it.

I also agree with looking into the Denon 1804 and 2803. I have the 1804 and it works great, it is a 6.1 that can perform a pretty good 7.1 if desired.

Also to second the motion of the Hsu vtf-2, for 450$ you cannot get a better sub!

Good luck with your set up.

Bob

6. Ryan_N

Ryan_N Auditioning

Ok I just was going to get the toshiba 36" because I dont want burn-in from the xbox games and a lot of 4:3 tv/dvd show usage. Other than the burn in issue I definitely have room for a RPTV. All I want is HDTV. As far as the receiver, I would think about a lower end unit such as the 1803, 1804, or H/K 325/525. Here are the things I really must have for it:
    -component video switching (upconversion would be very nice, but it is not a necessity)
    -2nd Room/Zone (does not need to be powered)
    -good virtual 5.1 sound (for TV broadcasts)
    -would like 6.1 or 7.1

Thanks again for the help.

7. Bob_Campbell

-component video switching
    -2nd Room/Zone (does not need to be powered)
    -good virtual 5.1 sound (for TV broadcasts)
    -would like 6.1 or 7.1

All of these are capable with the Denon 1804.

Even to 7.1

bob

8. Greg_sford

Greg_sford Agent

Greg

and I believe with the Yamaha 1400.

9. Ryan_N

Ryan_N Auditioning

I think I will probably go with the Yamaha 1400 because it also does comppnent upconversion. Also I believe I will get the Toshiba 36" because I think it will look better and fit better in the room I will be putting it in. Also I don't want to have to constantly be attentive to burn in issues. I know that the burn in can be minimized, but it is far easier to just have a direct view set and not worry about it.

10. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I wouldn't pick the 1400 based on component up conversion, ESPECIALLY after Sound and Vision tested it at only 35 true watts per channel w/ all channels driven. Component up-conversion is nice, but I would take a respectable power raiting any day over just having one cable to the TV.

Also, Direct-view vs. RPTV does have alot to do with room-size, placement, and personal preference, but I wouldn't let burn-in scare you off. If you're sitting atleast 10ft from the TV I would reccomend going up to a bigger set, you'll appreciate the size, especially for X-Box and DVD. The X-Box has a widescreen setting and most games are playable in widescreen. As long as you're not playing for more than 4 - 6 hours at a time w/out breaks I wouldn't worry a large amount about burn in from static parts of the screen. Also, w/ 4:3 TV, most of us are able to find a stretch mode we can get used to and don't really think about it much after that. For 4:3 DVD I use the pillar-box (black bar on sides) mode on my DVD and since it's mostly TV shows and I'm not watching them for more than 3-4 hours at a time i don't worry about burn in all that much. I ran RPTV w/ these viewing habbits for over 2 years without any hint of burn-in.

11. Greg_sford

Greg_sford Agent

Greg

Stephen, what issue did S&V look at the 1400?

is 35 wpc a problem solvable with a preamp?

Thanks!

12. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

How is 7.1 possible with the Denon 1803 ? It's a 6.1 reciever ..... I never knew you could get 7.1 out of it ...

13. Bob_Campbell

joe,

I have it. If you use the multi zone speakers for the 2 side rears, the 1804 will adjust appropiately to make it 7.1. Now like i said before, it's not a true 7.1 but it does very well for me.

Bob

14. Roger Q

Roger Q Stunt Coordinator

I think you'd be very happy with the 1400. I've got the 2400, but if I was doing everything at once and on budget I'd go for the 1400. I think the amps will be fine for you. It's been rated very favorably on many forums.

Punt on the CD player. Just go for a DVD player.

15. Mark_H

Mark_H Stunt Coordinator

I like the JBL S-Series option. I had the NSP1 setup both with and without N38II's as mains. I much prefer four S26II's and a sub to the Northbridge combo's you listed.

Onecall.com has the S26II's on clearance for $140 per pair plus shipping. Great deal IMO. http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_15013.htm I bought two pair from them and am very happy.
    They have the the S310II's on clearance for $168 each plus ship. http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_15091.htm
    They are an authorized JBL dealer so your warranty will be good.

The S-Center is harder to find but eBay and the forums here are places they can be had. I got a good deal from a HTF member on a used S-Center with a post in the for sale forum here.

For about $1700 you can get the 51" version of my Sony RPTV, its model KP-51WS510. Its a highly recommended unit and the Home Theater impact would be far higher than the Toshiba you have listed. Just turn down the contrast and I don't think burn in will be a problem.
    You will also have widescreen for your DVD's.

16. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

Ryan, I recently upgraded from a Kenwood home-theater-in-a-box to the following:
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-V2400
    Fronts: JBL S310II
    Center: JBS S-CenterII
    Surrounds (3): JBL S36II
    Sub: HSU STF-2

I already had the following:
    TV: Toshiba 50H82
    DVD Player: Toshiba SD5700
    Gaming: XBox

I am beyond happy with my entire HT set up now! The Yamaha RX-V2400 matched with the JBL Studio Series speakers sounds incredible. Don't pay any attention to the S&V review that said the Yammie only has 35 watts/channel. It has plenty of power and sounds incredible, its the best part of my HT!

I also say scrap the CD player idea and scrap the 36" Toshiba idea. Just get yourself a good DVD player (Denon 1600, Panasonic RP82/XP30) and a 46HX93/46HX93. Tweak the video with Avia, the audio with DVE and you'll be very happy.

The HSU STF-2 is a very good sub, but maybe you should audition the SVS. I think it may be worth the extra $$$ based on all the praise I've heard here.

17. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

Forgot to mention that my set up sounds awesome with XBox in-game Dolby Digital games, incredible with DVD movies, and pretty good with TV (satellite).

Also remember that positioning of your surround speakers is very, very important.

18. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

Thanks a bunch. I thought the "MultiZone 2" binding posts were mono though .... They'de have to be 2 channels to be 7.1 ....

19. TimRP

TimRP Stunt Coordinator

I would ditch the TV idea and get a DLP front projector + Dalite screen or even a DIY screen. No burn in to worry about and you will get the HT impact that a directview tube can't give you.

20. Ryan_N

Ryan_N Auditioning

Dont think projector will be a possibility because it is in the living/family room, and there will always be light in there. Plus people walk around the room a lot. I like the direct view because it just fits more of a family room setting than a RPTV. I would like the sony 40", but it's just a little bit more than I want to spend. The seating position is less than 10' from the TV set.

Also I have a side question: I have an old Sony STR-AV910 Pro Logic receiver that I would like to use in an upstairs game room/tv room. Would this work well with my Xbox, as in surround and general sound output? I have some Bozak monitors that I would use for the mains. They have 12" woofers, and I'm not sure what else for tweeters/midrange. And for the rears I would use Yamaha A535s.

Is there any way to update/upgrade the Bozaks with modern parts? They came out of a Audio/Video studio at Georgia Power (my dad installs/maintains this kind of stuff, so I can get some pretty nice parts from time to time). They are LS250-ALs. The cabinet is about 14x12x36".

Thanks for all of the help.
    -Ryan

Edit-I also will scrap the CD player idea, and instead go with a 5 DVD changer-Denon DVM-1815