1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Home Theater setup problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Corle, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Rich Corle

Rich Corle Stunt Coordinator

I ordered the JVC DS-TP350 HTIAB and am kinda having lots of trouble setting it up. For one thing, the front and rear speakers all 4 look exactly the same. Does it matter where i place them? Do they all hold the same power each? Can i just grab two, hook em up to the front, and put the other two in the rear? Also, i am either missing a digital coaxial cable or a subwoofer cable. The system CAME with a black cable with an RCA jackand these lititle ridges that kinda wrap around the jack. Is this a coaxial cable or a subwoofer cable? Also, when plugging the speaker wire into the reciver and speakers, does it have to be pushed fully in because these loose strands are driving me insane. Thanks.

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Rich;
    First, the four speakers you mention are all the same. It does not matter which connection you plug them into. Your receiver should in fact send the same amount of power to all the speakers in your system, so power distribution is not even something to worry about.
    As for the cable you seem to be missing, I'm not exactly sure what you have based on the description you gave. Try plugging it into the coaxial connection first and if you don't get any sound, it's probably the cable for the subwoofer. If you do get sound, it's the coaxial cable. You can find the cables you need at any local Radio Shack.
    Finally, when plugging the wires into your speakers and receiver, try to get them as tight as possible. That way, you know your connection will to solid and a wire won't accidentally pop loose. The tighter, the better in this case.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    Live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Area? Wanna meet local HTF members? Click Here!

3. JohnHN

JohnHN Stunt Coordinator

I have no experience with HTBs, let alone with JVC HTBs, so I'm just guessing here, but it is almost certain that the black cord is for the subwoofer. Go to radio shack and get a separate 75ohm coax cord for the digital connection. My guess also is that if the four speakers look identical then they probably are. I'm not sure what you mean regarding the wires, but if you have exposed leads sticking out of the speaker connections then either push them in or trim them; you don't want them touching.
    With luck, someone with direct experience with this unit will chime in.
    ------------------

4. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Rich, I don't have a JVC HTB but I did have a Sony HTB before I upgraded and I'm fairly certain that the black cable you mention is the Subwoofer one. I think the digital coax is orange on the connector part while the subwoofer is completely black. Hope this helps.
    -Keith-
    [Edited last by Keith_R on July 29, 2001 at 02:09 PM]

5. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

Generally, the single-plug RCA cable you'll be supplied in a typical HTIB setup is for the subwoofer. You'll need to pick up either a digital coax (75-ohm RCA video cables actually work great) or an optical cable, depending on which connections your DVD player and receiver can support.
    ------------------