Home Theater Setup Please Help a NewB out

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JonBrasher, Jan 3, 2003.

1. JonBrasher

JonBrasher Auditioning

Dec 22, 2002
    This is about Bose. Don't bash it I just need your opinion. I can get the Bose Acoustimass 6 for 369.00, I have auditioned them and i like them. Here is my question will this be fine for a 10'x12' bedroom. Also would you pick Onkyo TRS 500 or Denon 1802 receiver. Please help me out will, this suite a non-audiophile for DVD playback and music.

Thanks in Advance!

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999

The Acoustimass system will perform fine in a small room such as yours.

As to which receiver, the same thing applies. Any receiver from a reputable manufacturer will work fine in your room – it is small enough that power is not a big factor. Just pick the one with the features you’re looking for, or that has the best/simplest ease of operation.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt
  3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Aug 19, 2002
    Yep, Wayne pretty much put it in a nutshell [​IMG] Obviously, I'd recommend against the acoustimass at full price, but at nearly half-price, it is more reasonable. And it is good that the "Acoustimass® module" is powered to boot.
    If you're thinking about a simple, basic HT for the bedroom, then yes. If you're a music person, or you listen to a significant amount of music also, it may be worth it in the long run to stay the stereo route, and get a pair of superior, small bookshelf speakers, you might even wall-mount them if needed, but they may look a tad funny, rather than going the surround route. While I love (and crave) a great surround system, I am a music lover, thus I'd rather someone get a nicer music system than more of an entry-level surround setup, which may grow old quickly. But you've not listed your priorities, or the good old percentage numbers, so thats my chime in if you want more music in the HT.