Home Theater Setup Help

gwynn1984

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
I've checked every forum I could, but I haven't been able to get the specific help I need. I really hope that someone here can take on my challenge:

I recently bought a Panasonic DMR-ES35V DVD/VHS Recorder, and am having trouble incorporating in to my system. I bought it simply to transfer VHS tapes to DVD (which I can figure out how to do) and to transfer shows from my DirecTV Tivo playlist to DVD (which I cannot figure out how to do). I already have a DVD player, so I don't need to use this as my DVD player (though I would if it made sense).

The DVD/VHS Recorder has 2 RCA Inputs, 1 Component Output, and 2 RCA Outputs.

I also have:

DirecTV HD DVR (HR10-250), which has an HDMI connection to my TV, 1 Component out connection, 1 RCA output, and 2 Satellite feeds in. I do not currently have an RF In or Out.

I also have a Sony Dream Theater System, which I am now using for both my surround sound and my DVD player. It has a Component output and 2 RCA Inputs.

My TV is a Sony HDTV, with a Component Input, an HDMI Input, and 2 RCA Inputs.

I can't seem to get the TV to play through the new DVD recorder (which I assume I need to do if I'm going to record from my DirecTV TiVo to my DVD recorder).

Can someone please recommend the ideal solution for me? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
The TV itself wouldn't play through the DVD recorder. (TV has no video output, except to its own screen). The idea would be to get the HR10-250 to play into the DVD recorder, then out to the TV.

What you want to do is connect the AV output of the HR10-250 into the AV input of the DVD recorder. Use S-video + audio L/R for best results. Set the DVD to take input from its AV input (some sort of "input select" button). Set TV to take input from the DVD. You should be able to see the output of the HR10-250 through the DVD recorder if you have the right settings.

Key issue: HR10-250 will *not* output on the std AV unless the output resolution is set to 480i. I think you change output res with the up arrow while watching a program, or through setup menu. You'll have to change the res while recording to DVD, change it back to HD when you are done.

Don't know if you also have to disconnect the HDMI, if you are still having issues while transferring I'd try that.

gwynn1984

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Thank you both so much. I got it to work. The keys were making sure that my video output from the DVD recorder was going right into the TV (as opposed to through the Surround Sound system) and to change the setting to 480i. I was able to keep the HDMI connected.

Thanks again.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l3randon39