What's new

home theater set-up under $500 (1 Viewer)

OcieB

Stunt Coordinator
I am moving and looking the best home theater set up under $500 dollars(w/out dvd player). please help.

DavidMcG

Grip
lol good luck. i have been looking for the same thing and am actually thinking about getting a refurbished/factory reconditioned component system since HTiB's are sooooo crappy. I am either going to go w/ Onkyo or wait for the new Pioneer's coming out. Unfortunately, all the new systems are starting to have shortcuts w/ crap plastic speakers and speaker connections that are a new kind of plug that resemble usb ports - panasonic, samsung, pioneer, sony, etc...

Randy_aloha

Auditioning
This is what I did:

Onkyo 575x --- Ebay --- 220.
sony swm40 --- Sears--- 150.
psb intro clr --- Ebay --- 150.(pair)
old sansui's for fronts 00.
old sansui (center) ---goodwill 06.

Total -----------------------------$526.

I originally bought the pair of intro clr's to use one as a center and sell the other, but they sounded nice as surrounds. I'll be moving up to Seattle in a year and hope to pick up some more PSB's for fronts and center then.

We also just bought a 36" direct view Panasonic flat screen for 899. I am having second thoughts about this as I just found out I can get the Panasonic 47" rear projection widescreen HD ready for the same price through a friend of a friend who works at CC. The Direct View does look nice, and my wife watches mostly network television. The same dilemna many people seem to be having.

Good luck on putting yours together.

DavidMcG

Grip
hey. i bought the hts-650 for $294 direct from onkyo refurbished and the onkyo dv-sp500 dvd player from crutchfield last week for $180 and it should all be here Wednesday :)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
JBL NSP1 (or NSP1 II) set, a cheap but solid sub (the aformentioned Sony SA-WM40 if you can find one), and a lower-end Pioneer, Panasonic, or Sherwood 5.1 receiver with DTS, Dolby Digital, and Pro-Logic II and you should be set.
That should be attainable for just under $500.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks