Home Theater set up - subwoofer question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by bernacks, Aug 31, 2006.

1. bernacks

bernacks Auditioning

Hello,

I am setting up a surround sound system in my apartment and I am at a stand still.

I have what I believe is a 5.1 set of Panasonic speakers (2 tall front, a center, 2 small rear, and a subwoofer) and a Pioneer VSX-451 receiver.

On the back of the receiver there are the following speaker connections:

L and R speakers - there is an A set and a B set
    L and R rear speakers
    Center speaker

My question is, where do I hook in the subwoofer? As of now I have the B set open - do i choose one of those and put it in there? Please help.

Unfortunately i do not have the manual.

Thanks,

Steve

2. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

Need more info.
    Is your Sub powered or unpowered? ie. does it have an amp built in?
    If it does, as most do now, does it have high level inputs? If so, you can use your regular speaker connection from the front to give the sub the signal it needs.
    Does your Amp have a pre-amp out for sub? again, most do now. If so, and your Amp is powered, you will have to use an RCA cable connection from your reciever/amp to your sub.

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

The sub-woofer is in another section. Look for SUB W. On my 47TX, it's on the other side, near the pre-outs and CD/Tape in inputs.

Glenn

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Steve. Welcome to HTF!

You are correct - these connections are confusing.

Your speakers are connected with the binding-posts and speaker wire. But a self-powered sub-woofer is connected with a RCA cable.

Look for female RCA plugs in a cluster of plugs called "Pre Out". You are looking for one that says "SUB" or "LFE" (Low Frequency Effects).

Run a long RCA plug from this female jack to the female-jack on the input to the sub. Any long RCA cable will do - dont shell out the $$$ for a special "subwoofer" cable. I prefer the MegaCable line from Radio Shack or the AR-Pro cables from BestBuy/etc.

Hope this helps.

5. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Steve!

Welcome to HTF!