What's new

Home theater set up questions (1 Viewer)

UCred

Auditioning
Real Name
Will
Hello, I am new to the board and am looking for some direction.

I am trying to set up a theater room in my basement. The room is 20’ x 21’ with 9’ ceilings. Viewing is going to be in the 21’ direction. I want to use overhead projector and I want the equipment to be behind the viewers.

Components are the DH cable box, Sony Blue ray 550, Onkyo TXDS 747(this probably need replaced since it does not have HDMI, or ?), project has not been selected as yet but I am leaning towards the Epson 1080P.

Questions/concerns.
1.I want to plug in PS2/PS3 and X-box into the front of the room. Therefore I need HDMI and 5 RCA in a wall plate. – Do I take these all the way back to the components or to the projector? I would think if I go to the projector I will not have sound.
2.Then do I only need a HDMI from the components to the projector?
3.Do I need a switch for the HDMIs and what will this accomplish.
4.How are these things hooked up so the sound comes through the surround sound for everything?
5.These cables will be enclosed in the ceiling any suggestions on type? From front wall plate to components will be 45 ft and from projector to components will be 25 ft. These lengths will give me room to connect and extra.
6.Is there a way to aim the remote forward and the signal get to the components – some type of eye that I can run wire for now. What type of wire, just cat5?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to do this correctly the first time. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
With a room that big, you have plenty of room for tiered seating. Have you considered building a riser?
It would enable you to run wiring (or smurf tube) through the riser, so you could connect your gaming gear to the front of the riser. This would allow you to have all of your equipment in the back of the room.

If you can't do that, to answer your questions:

1. You'll run everything through your receiver (after it's been replaced).
2. Yes, but it never hurts to run extra (second HDMI, component, smurf tube).
3. Depends on how many HDMI's your new receiver has. If you get one with 4 HDMI inputs, you should be fine (1 - XBox, 1-PS3, 1-cable box, 1 - 550)
4. Everything goes to the receiver via HDMI and one single HDMI out of the receiver to your display (projector) carries each components info.
5. Go to monoprice.com for cables. Look for ones that are rated for in-wall. Although you're much better off running tubing and feeding lines through it.
6. You have a couple of options. Search on Google for IR repeaters.

UCred

Auditioning
Real Name
Will
Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. I am considering a riser but I can only have one for the rear seating. Due to an inswing door to the outside and a fireplace I can not tier the entire area. The tube is a great idea but I will need to put it in the ceiling.

Any thought on the reciever. I am very happy with my Onkyo equipment.

Any thought on the projector.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
A riser is typically only for the rear. You could still place outlets on the facing of the riser and it would be accessible to the front seats (as long as the cord is 6' or so)

Can't recommend anything (equipment) unless I have an idea of your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks