What's new

Home Theater Seating (1 Viewer)

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
I've got the room for my home theater roughed in and now am looking for some advice on seating.

The room is 12.5 feet wide x 30 feet deep. I've seen some 'theater' seating at the local HT stores and found something my wife and I liked in the form of recliner type seating, nice and wide, cup holders, leather and so on.

Can someone recommend any websites I can visit to start looking at seating of this nature?

Thanks, Kurt

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
I took a look, nice looking seating, tho I think it's more than I care to spend right now. Perhaps I'll use traditional recliners for the main seats to begin with...

Barry_R

Stunt Coordinator
Kurt, We ordered matching La-Z-Boys. They make a very nice rocker-recliner with a narrower base than more traditional recliners. This give you more room for sitting them across the front of the seating area. They look nice and they are SOOO comfortable.

Barry.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
Barry, I think that is the direction we will go to start with. Got to have comfort for those long viewing sessions :D
~Kurt

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Kurt,
I took both the "sane" and the "insane" approach to this in my HT. I purchased three matching LaZyboy "Riviera" recliners for the front row at fairly good pricing and I use these on a regular basis. You can get them in a variety of fabrics and leather so the price may vary (my seats cost about $400 each). You can see all this on my HT web site.
The "insanity" came when I became aware of the availablity of the actual seating from the renovated Radio City Music Hall, so I purchased four of these very nice, but used to the extent that they are not new but fully functional, theater seats for ~$450 each. Yes, I could have refinished some regular theater seats (lots of people have gone this route with great success at very little cost) but the fact that these are the genuine article from one of the great show palaces made it a luxury I wanted to incorporate into my HT. Besides, as the Mastercard ad says, "Priceless."
:laugh:
Whatever.
Make sure you get something comfortable for yourself. You will be spending a lot of time in your HT. Trust me on this one.
Good luck.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

Thanks for the input. Getting those seats is 'awesome'. I've always liked distinct and unusual and to be apart from the crowd when I do/purchase things.

In your pictures you mentioned the seating is movable, do you move the entire riser?

I'm still looking at the interior layouts from lights to shelving to where to put the equipment. so any and all insights are welcome.

Thanks, Kurt

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
I think I bought the chairs you are referring to.

Nice leather, Cup HOlders, have different formations so you can make nice curved stuff.

They are Berkline Cinema Recliners. They are worth the $728 or so a piece I paid for the five I got earlier this month.

I have a RAF, RAF Wedge LAF on one wall, then the mirror image on the other wall, and a two arm striaght one in the center.

My room is 12' by 24'. Fits good, though if everyone fully reclined at once someone is playing footsie.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,

I'll look that over too. That price is more in my budget. Your room is about the same dimensions as I have. I'm in the stages where I'm planning the lighting, the chair placements, the equipment placements and so on. I'm toying with putting a 'wet bar' area in with a small fridge, sink, and pizza oven... the kids requested the pizza oven.

I'm doing the work myself with the help of my brother and a good friend/neighbor and want to make this a showpiece.

thanks for the lead.

Kurt

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
In your pictures you mentioned the seating is movable, do you move the entire riser?
Kurt,
What I mean by this is that I didn't permanently attach the riser to the floor in any manner. The sheer weight of the riser and the attached chairs is extremely sturdy and not subject to any tipping over. My original thought was to be able to move the entire structure, if necessary, to rearrange things if I ever decided to, say, move the computers out and provide even more seating. I doubt I'll do this however, since the arrangement fits my needs perfectly as is.
Incidentally, one of the things that is key in the arrangement of my seats and the front projector is to make sure that the location of the FP is directly above the seatbacks (like it is now). This way tall people (6'8" or so) will never accidently bump into the projector since it is hanging down from my rather low (but fine for me) 7'6" ceiling. Even seven footers would not hit it when sitting down since people do not generally walk on the seat backs.
:laugh:
Just another thing to think about when designing an HT.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
Even seven footers would not hit it when sitting down since people do not generally walk on the seat backs.
:laugh: :laugh:
Good one. Did you take into account those grandchildren?
My floor to ceiling when finished will be about 7'8" so I'm covered there. Initially, I won't have a projection system, but that is sometime down the road.
Good advice all, and thanks.
~Kurt

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Did you take into account those grandchildren?
Kurt,
My grandkids realize that if they walk on the seats (in any fashion, at any point) then they no longer set foot in the HT! (O.K., maybe the 10 day old doesn't understand this yet, but he will when he reaches the Age of Theatrical Reason.)
Sticky floor people need not apply!
;)
Take care.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like what I tell my kids, the first grandbaby is due in a few months. BTW, very nice HT setup you have.

The more I plan on mine, the more frustrated I feel at times. Slowly, oh so slowly, the plans are coming together.

Happy New Year,

Kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks