Home Theater Seating

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tom_Parker, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Tom_Parker

Tom_Parker Auditioning

I've found the many threads that point to different kinds of home theater seating. I'm hoping for some more specific guidance from those who already have seating installed in their home theaters.

My new home theater is a pretty small space -- it's 12' to 13' long, and only 9 1/2' wide. 9 1/2' doesn't give me much room, so I'm asking the seat owners out there:

What kind of seats do you own?
    How many seats can I fit across the room -- 2, 3?
    I'll have a 42' flat panel TV on the wall -- with the seating position 5' - 6' back, would it be possible to put in a second row of the seats you're using?

Should I just toss the idea of theater seating, a use a couch? Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Best,
    tom

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I'm using TC-1 seats from Salamander designs. They are not as wide as most of the specialty seats on the market. # of these seats would fit nicely, and given the depth of your room, I think they would work for a second row as well.

3. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

You should also check out their CL series. Have not seen them in person but look nice.

4. Ty-Stumbo

Ty-Stumbo Auditioning

I went to a thrift store and bought a couch, a loveseat, and two single seats for $120. I then went and spent $500 on plush, soft, furry fabric, then my mama recovered everything with it. Let me tell you, I have yet to find any kind of seat that even begins to compare with my couches. When I got them they were an ugly stained and faded yellow, however the lines and curves of them were awsome, the nice fabric made all the difference. Then again, I like the comfy, relaxed and cozy look, while others perfer the clean, sterrl look.

Go to a huge local fabric store and just look around, especially at the more expensive fabric. The stuff i chose was normally $12 per yard but on sale for $7. I doubt you will regret it.

5. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Ty thats a good idea. Never thought about a thrift store for furniture. I thought they only had clothes and small stuff. Thats why I love this forum I learn from others post.

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Regardless of what design suits you make sure it passes the Ass Test. Sit down and make sure it's something you could relax in comfortably over an extended period of time. And make sure the back isn't too high so as to interfere with surround sound.

I haven't made the final selections yet for my theater but I'm pretty sure I'll use a reclining love seat in the first row and reclining couch in the second. This seems to me to offer the most flexibility, plus more intimacy for couples or families. Also keep in mind the overall aesthetic of your theater. If more traditional and keeping with a theatrical theme individual theater style seats probably make the most sense. If more casual styling then common couches nicely fit the bill. Great idea above on reupholstering. I've read on a number of occassions where people have bought old seats from actual theaters and refinished them for dirt cheap. Not my idea of comfort but your mileage may very. Doesn't get more "theatrical" than that.

7. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Have you ever seen the Ekornes Stressless recliners. They make couches, loveseats and single chairs. It had to be the most comfortable seat I had ever sat in.

8. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Tom. Jay is absolutely right. You need to make sure the seat you buy is comfortable for a double feature. I set up my screening room with three Ekornes Stressless recliners in the front row (for serious movie watching) and a firm couch in the back row (for serious snuggling while movie watching).

I primarily use the recliners for watching, but the couch is used by guests and when watching romance/comedies with the GF.

Check out the link below if you want to see what it looks like.

(BTW - I know it has been ages since I've updated my website. I'm upgrading/fine tuning the theater over the next couple of weeks and plan to release a brand new updated website at that time.)

-greg

9. Mathew Shelby

Greg,
    Do you mind me asking where you got the Stressless recliners and if they ship to FL. The only place I know of in Florida is super expensive.

10. Tom_Parker

Tom_Parker Auditioning

gregstaten wrote, "I set up my screening room with three Ekornes Stressless recliners in the front row (for serious movie watching) and a firm couch in the back row (for serious snuggling while movie watching)."

Greg, what're the dimensions of your setup? What's the distance from back to back, and from back of the 2nd row to front of the first, including the recline?

Best,
    tom

11. gregstaten

Matthew: I bought them at Jordan's Furniture. I'm not sure if they ship outside of New England, though.

Tom: I'd have to measure, but you can easily recline all the way in the front row and have still have adequete legroom on the couch.

-greg

12. Mathew Shelby

I couldn't find them on the website, but I will call them. How much do they run. The sofa I looked at was $3000.

13. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Greg

Love the way the theater looks. Great cabling! [​IMG]

14. gregstaten

Mathew: I believe the chairs were around $800-900 each. Ekornes makes a full line of chairs and they have a website. The more expensive chairs are wider and have the more loose leather feel that seems to be so popular. I went for pure support and comfort and bought firmer chairs. The couch (which was also around $1000 if memory serves) is also quite firm.

Thanks for the comments, Jay. As I work in post-production, I've had plenty of opportunities to troubleshoot poorly wired rooms and facilities. I made it a point to carefully label and channel all the wiring.

-greg

15. william-scooter

william-scooter Stunt Coordinator

I have ordered two couches from roomstogo.com. The Rialto in red. Not special for a theater but these are very art deco looking and should go with the room art deco theater styling. Front row couch has a hide-a-bed for slumber parties(or myself if I really want to veg. out) Just a thought to expand the possible uses of a dedicated HT.

Mine in progress at msnuser.com/scootershometheatre