What's new

Home Theater Screen with Shelving (HELP!) (1 Viewer)

DarrellH1

Auditioning
Real Name
Darrell
I am building a 106" home theater screen wall and want to add built-in shelving on the sides and/or top/bottom for the center speaker and sub. I have a few concerns that I would like addressed from someone more experienced than myself. I will be Using KEF KHT 3005 speakers.

1) If I build the shelving will it affect the acoustics of the speakers?

2) Have any of you had experience with these speakers and if so, where is the best placement for the sub, as I would like to put it in the built-in as well or will that completely distort the bass?

3) I will be using a Mitsubishi HC5500 projector and would like to ceiling mount. I have used mitsu's calculator, but either it is wrong or I have misinterpreted as I am getting a result of 56" from the floor. This can't possibly be right.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1) Yes. Anything in close proximity will impact the acoustics of the speaker. How much depends on the quality of the speaker and how close objects are to it. But in your case probably not enough to matter of even notice.
2) Sub placement is room dependent. There are dozens of threads covering this in the Speakers section as well as some great sub setup information at the SVS site.
3) Most calculators are giving you the distance from the screen, not the floor. Check the calcuator at Projector People. I think that's the name of the site I got mine from. But you will have to factor in offsetting your screen. If I set my projector even with the top of my screen, I have to shift it down to the max setting. This does not let me have any side to side adjustments. But this is all projector dependent.

-Robert

DarrellH1

Auditioning
Real Name
Darrell
More Help Needed!

I have purchased an Elite Screen R106H1 which is the 106" Diagonal with Cinegray Material to go with my Mitsu HC 5500 LCD projector.

I will be using this in a room during the daytime to view sports on as well which is why I purchased this particular grey screen; however, I was now told by an A/V guy that this screen won't work properly. He says I should have gotten a smaller screen such as a 92", to help with the reflectivity, and went with a da-lite screen to improve viewing angles.

My question is are these real concerns, or am I simply being sold a line? Also, I have read about the Elite Screens in the Elite Screens thread, but I would like someone with some knowldege of screens to tell me if I should look at returning this screen for these purposes or not.

Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since you will be using it in a room without total light control then you need as much gain as possible. Also, the smaller the screen, the brighter it will be. But I don't know how your A/V guy could determine this without seeing your room. This is one of the reasons I went with a $75 DIY screen. I've thought about going with gray paint on it or maybe one of the dozens of high gain metalic paint formulas but I'm OK with what I have now. If I wasn't or I screwed up with the paint I would only be out $12 and about 200 staples to switch it out.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertigofilmfanman
Recent bookmarks