Home Theater run by computer

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt_Whitehorn, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Matt_Whitehorn

I hope this is the right forum for this question. I am building a new house and I have designed it with a closet that will be used as a "command center" for my home theater.
    At first I started looking at all the components I'll need to buy: DVD/CD player, Receiver, TV, speakers... Now I'm wondering if all I need is a computer. If I rip all my CDs to MP3 on this computer, there's the music. This closet is where the network panel and network switch will be so there's the internet radio. With a DVD drive, there's your video. I could still hook up a VCR if ever desired I guess. But going with the idea of having surround sound, is the computer idea even possible? I'm guessing that I'd still need a receiver to power the speakers and that the computer would be plugged into the receiver as an AUX input. But could I get something that would allow me to use the TV as the computer monitor? Is this even possible? Any drawbacks to doing this?

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

If you are going front-end projector (FPTV) then a home theater computer (HTPC) is ideal. HTF has our own section for this subject.

But yea many people do what you're describing; use an HTPC to play DVDs, as well as a video and music server. However if you are using a plain old TV you may have better luck with a standalone, like the Denon 2200. I have a 32" wega but use an HTPC as a PVR (like a TiVo), music server, MAME games. I can also surf the web and play PC games on an LCD monitor I setup.

Pic

I'd really like a folding swing arm to attach the LCD to. [​IMG]

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

YES!

Lots of people use HTPCs. There are MANY things you can do with them. If you are computer-savvy you can do even more. You can use remotes, have on screen GUIs, and the most important thing that originally got it all started: video processing. This is especially important for high-def TVs, digital projectors, and CRT projectors. DVD blown up really big looks like crap, and standalone video processors can cost THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of dollars. Do it with a computer for 1/10th the price.

And then everything else, you can do HDTV, send the audio digitally to your receiver for surround, you can do PVR like a TIVO with big hard drives, you can even do it with high-def stuff. You can do video servers, audio servers, all kinds of things. If only I didn't hate computers so much, then I'd be doing a lot more of these things. For me, it's barebones brute force video processing.

See the HTPC forum over at AVS.

4. Matt_Whitehorn

Thanks for that info, I figured that I didn't have an original idea there! I'm just getting into this, so sorry for my noviceness, but what's AVS?

5. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

6. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

But stay away from MP3 format. Use a lossless compression like flac. No sense in running degraded and inferior MP3 to your HT when you can have CD quality instead, right?

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Yea, if your HD can support it! I rip all my favorite CDs to WAV and keep em that way.