Home Theater Review...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blake Bowden, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Extra

I currently have a decent "non dedicated" home theater in my house. I'll be moving into a 3 story home next month. So, I now have a room available for a dedicated HT. Here's the list of my current equipment and my "new" list. Do you guys see anything that I should change?
    TV: Sony Wega 32' (Currently)
    Toshiba 65H80 (New)
    Reciever: Sony STR-DE875 (Currently)
    Harmon/Kardon AV7000 (New)
    DVD: Philips Magnovox (Forgot the #, bought in 98)
    Panasonic DVD-RP91K (New)
    VCR: Panasonic 4 Head Hi Fi (?)
    Panasonic DVD-RP91K (New)
    Now another concern I have...speakers. I current have 2 Optimus LX10's as my mains, 2 LX5's for surround, and a CS5 for a center channel. Along with that I have a 15' 200watt Cerwin Vega HTS15. Although this system works great right now in a small den, do you guys see any weakness? I'am going pretty high dollar for the video, but am I a little cheap on the sound? Also, would 2 subs be in order? If so, how would you connect them? Y adapter? I'am concerned about the speakers as the new room is significantly bigger. As always thanks for any input you can offer.

2. Dan_Myers

Dan_Myers Agent

Hi Blake,
    I can't tell you much about your system since I am very new to the better HT stuff. I am still moving away from my low end Sony system.
    Anyway, I wanted to tell you I just picked up the new Radio Shack catalog when I was buying some cables this weekend. I noticed that the LX-55 has been replaced by the LX-550. the 550 uses the same Lin. Tweeter, but they changed the woofer to a new "Honeycomb" woofer. If you every plan on going 7.1 with your current system you may want to pick up a pair of the LX-55's before they are gone. The lx-550's might not match tonaly. If nothing else I think the grills on the 550's are very ugly. But they hide the bright yellow woofer at least.
    How do you like the CS5? I own a pair of lx-5's and have been happy with them. I was planning on using lx-55's all the way around for my system plus subwoofer but ended up getting an awesome deal on some NHT's super zero's.

3. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Your choices sound really good as far as the TV and Receiver.....
    Can't do any better than the Pani RP-91 as of today... IMHO the best pic on the the market in it's price category...
    The weak link here is the speakers..... You will want to match that HK with some newer speakers.......
    You can use the HTF and other websites as a guide for speaker advice, but the best thing you can do is go on a tour and start to demo speakers.... The best judge for speakers is your own ears.... Go listen to Paradigm, B&W, Infinity, and some others......
    Let us know your findings.....
    Good Luck,
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 7-26-2001
    Send Email: [email protected]

4. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Extra

Thanks for all the input guys. Yea, the CS5, for what I paid is a great center. It matches very well with the LX10 & LX5's. I've been researching on the Paradigm Monitor 7 as the mains. I really need to go and listen to them first. The LX10's IMO are still pretty good.

5. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

I use the HK 7000 with 4-NHT SuperTwos and the SuperCenter. Though I do not always need full range surrounds, the results are rewarding when I do! The Super series is being phased out for the Mega; you may be able to find them on close out. They are a fantastic deal. I plan on a subwoofer in the future, but am in no rush. Honestly, the bass has been more than adequate for my needs!
    ------------------
    Best, Sam