Home Theater Receiver with built in aptX low latency bluetooth?

dougdrury

Auditioning
Real Name
Douglas Drury
Hello!

Sorry if this is a newby question, but I have googled/searched for days. Probably not searching on the right terms.

We have been trying to find a solution for our father who is hard of hearing, but others in the house are not. We have tried some external low latency transmitters and they seem to work, but it is hard to get all types of inputs (cable box, DVD, other, etc) all to send to the external transmitter when switching between them. We have even tried some splitters.

I see that a higher end Denon - AVR-X2700H (2020) - seems to have this feature now, but don't know if it is low latency (since the manual is not very complete).

Does anyone have any experience with a home theater receiver that has built in low latency bluetooth capability that will allow us to watch all inputs and hear the audio out of the speakers and also transmit via low latency (Bluetooh 5.0?) as well?

Thanks for any info. I appreciate it.

~ Doug

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Welcome!

I can't personally think of a simple solution for this although I would probably avoid Bluetooth. Here is a discussion where the Original Poster appears to have a similar problem. I only took a cursory look but there do seem to be some workable options mentioned. Hope it helps.

Reactions: dougdrury

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Real Name
Wayne
Hard to offer a solution since you gave no indication of what equipment is in your current system.

I’d suggest ditching Bluetooth for a standard wireless headphone system from a reputable company like Sennheiser. We have a model HDR-185 and have been very happy with it. The benefit is no constant pairing, no latency, and long battery life between re-charging.

As far as connections go, if your system uses HDMI connections throughout, you could use an HDMI audio extractor between your AVR’s output and the TV’s input. This would get you an analog audio signal that you could send to the headphone station. This would work if your AVR will send both audio and video via HDMI to the TV.

Another option along the same lines would be to use the TV’s headphone output to the wireless headphone station, if the TV has one. Many TVs also have digital optical outputs that could be sent to the station; that would be useful if the TV sends audio from its HDMI input (from the AVR) to the optical output.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

dougdrury

Auditioning
Real Name
Douglas Drury
Thank you Wayne. I didn't mention setup, because I am just looking at new receiver options. We are currently using an HDMI audio extractor from our comcast box and it is working OK (We are using an Avantree Aptx bluetooth transmitter and headphones and there is virtually no lag due to atpx and bluetooth 5.0.), but I am really looking for a solution that will stream all audio from all switched sources (Cable box, DVD, Xbox, etc) which is why I am looking for a built in solution in a receiver. I tried to put the HDMI audio extractor on the main HDMI output of my Denon, but it only seems to transmit the video. No audio seemed to be transmitted out.

dougdrury

Auditioning
Real Name
Douglas Drury
Welcome!

I can't personally think of a simple solution for this although I would probably avoid Bluetooth. Here is a discussion where the Original Poster appears to have a similar problem. I only took a cursory look but there do seem to be some workable options mentioned. Hope it helps.
Hey John. Thank you for the link I will definitely check it out. I appreciate the info!!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Doug, Wayne and John can find you a solution. The problem is, you need to provide them with as much info as possible and not eliminate options. I'll be the third unanimous person to suggest that you stop insisting on a bluetooth solution. I suspect your best solution is one of the many wireless (not bluetooth) headphones on the market. We need to know if you're using apps in your TV to stream, for instance. I suspect your best solution is one Wayne suggested, using either a headphone or optical audio output from your TV as the source for wireless headphones. An option like that should completely eliminate any problems with the headphones automatically hearing what the TV is showing, and it will be completely independent of the receiver.

Like I said, John and Wayne can and will find you the best solution.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Real Name
Wayne
Anyway you go at it, you’re going to have to spend some money. Either on an AVR that delivers audio via its HDMI output (that could be extracted as discussed), or get an AVR that converts all digital inputs (HDMI, optical etc.) to an analog audio signal fed to Zone 2 outputs. Either could feed your Bluetooth transmitter.

Or, an AVR with a built-in Bluetooth transmitter as you originally mentioned.

Basically, you need to scour the manufacturers’ AVR manuals for to find something that suits your needs. especially if one claims to offer Bluetooth transmitting, to make sure it’s transmitting what you want. Obviously you won't know about any latency until you get hands-on, so make sure anything you bring home has a generous return policy.

Since you already know about the Aventree transmitter's latency, my first two suggestions are probably best.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

dougdrury

Auditioning
Real Name
Douglas Drury
Doug, Wayne and John can find you a solution. The problem is, you need to provide them with as much info as possible and not eliminate options. I'll be the third unanimous person to suggest that you stop insisting on a bluetooth solution. I suspect your best solution is one of the many wireless (not bluetooth) headphones on the market. We need to know if you're using apps in your TV to stream, for instance. I suspect your best solution is one Wayne suggested, using either a headphone or optical audio output from your TV as the source for wireless headphones. An option like that should completely eliminate any problems with the headphones automatically hearing what the TV is showing, and it will be completely independent of the receiver.

Like I said, John and Wayne can and will find you the best solution.
Hey there JohnRice. I appreciate the input. The issue is that my Denon does not output switched audio to my TV for me to grab from the main HDMI out. I am looking for a more 'overall' solution. I already have an HDMI audio extractor that then pushes the comcast audio to an Avantree aptx bluetooth headphones that works very well. I am just looking for a receiver that has this built in already.

It is a very specific question about new equipment. I don't need a solution for what I already have. I am just curious about an overall built in solution in a receiver. Just looking to see if anyone knows of one. That is all.

Thanks!!

dougdrury

Auditioning
Real Name
Douglas Drury
Anyway you go at it, you’re going to have to spend some money. Either on an AVR that delivers audio via its HDMI output (that could be extracted as discussed), or get an AVR that converts all digital inputs (HDMI, optical etc.) to an analog audio signal fed to Zone 2 outputs. Either could feed your Bluetooth transmitter.

Or, an AVR with a built-in Bluetooth transmitter as you originally mentioned.

Basically, you need to scour the manufacturers’ AVR manuals for to find something that suits your needs. especially if one claims to offer Bluetooth transmitting, to make sure it’s transmitting what you want. Obviously you won't know about any latency until you get hands-on, so make sure anything you bring home has a generous return policy.

Since you already know about the Aventree transmitter's latency, my first two suggestions are probably best.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thank you Wayne. I appreciate the info!!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’ll just say one more thing, then I’m out. hdmi audio pass-through is usually an option in the receiver’s setup. It is possible to pass all audio to the TV, then take it from the TV itself for headphones. I’m actually not talking about an audio extractor.

FWIW, I’m not aware of an all-in-one solution.

Last edited:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Real Name
Wayne
To clarify John’s comment perhaps a bit, check your AVR’s menu and see if there’s an option for its HDMI output to send audio or not. The menu option should be something like “Video Only” or “Video + Audio.” If you have that option, and your TV has a headphone jack (seems to be an increasingly rare option, but anything a few years old should have one), you won’t need an extractor.

But this does open a new potential issue: Your TV will need an option in its menu to turn off its internal speakers.

Isn’t this fun? :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

dougdrury

Auditioning
Real Name
Douglas Drury
To clarify John’s comment perhaps a bit, check your AVR’s menu and see if there’s an option for its HDMI output to send audio or not. The menu option should be something like “Video Only” or “Video + Audio.” If you have that option, and your TV has a headphone jack (seems to be an increasingly rare option, but anything a few years old should have one), you won’t need an extractor.

But this does open a new potential issue: Your TV will need an option in its menu to turn off its internal speakers.

Isn’t this fun? :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thanks. Yes. I did look for a passthrough audio option in my Denon. I will check again though. Never hurts to double check. And, yes, I can turn the audio down on my actual TV. Really appreciate it! Thank you!

dougdrury

Auditioning
Real Name
Douglas Drury
I’ll just say one more thing, then I’m out. hdmi audio pass-through is usually an option in the receiver’s setup. It is possible to pass all audio to the TV, then take it from the TV itself for headphones. I’m actually not talking about an audio extractor.

FWIW, I’m not aware of an all-in-one solution.
Thanks. Yes. I did look for an audio pass-through audio option in my Denon. I will check again though. Never hurts to double check. Thanks again!!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16