What's new

Home Theater Receiver Recommendation Please (1 Viewer)

Rich*s

Auditioning
I am building up to a home theater in my family room (about 20 x 25). I presently have a Sony 60" LCD WEGA ( a few years old, but works great) working through a free (!) cheap Yamaha 5.1 system that I plan to dump. I just got a PS3 for Blu-Ray (really awsome picture). Now I need to work on sound.

I say "building up to" because my budget does not currently have room for new speakers. I'll probably use a mix of stuff I already have until I can upgrade. Meanwhile, I hope to enjoy the benefits of HDMI switching, iPod connectivity (if I go Pioneer) and a few other features. (Yes, I am aware that speakers are everything. I'm just doing this a piece at at time.)

I'm considering the following:

Onkyo RX-SR706 ($600 at Amazon today)
Either the Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH or 23TXH ($500/$550 respectively)
Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K ($500 at Amazon)

Background: I have a old (2yrs!) Denon 1707, a Pioneer 50 in plasma and a Paradigm Cinema 110 7.1 system in our 15x20 bedroom and love it. Denon seems to pale a little next to my choices above, however.

1. What would you choose and why?

2. Can't say I see much reason to pick the Elite 23 over the Elite 21. Is there (other than maybe an extra input or two)?

3. The non-Elite seems to get better ratings than the (supposedly superior) Elite models--Why?

Rich

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Have you checked the Receivers and Amp section of the forum? There's more receiver talk there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks