Home Theater Projector Questions :(

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JustinMKN, Apr 24, 2006.

1. JustinMKN

JustinMKN Auditioning

Here is my situation, I've purchased an Onkyo 603x. Good deal but no HDMI. Can still return it.

I am considering investing a good amount of money in to a projector. But I'd like the best video quality for the theater since the screen could be in the upwards of 100 inches.

My Receiver does not have HDMI not sure how bad that hurts me for video quality. I've been considering buying a Upconverting DVD player, and running HDMI to the projector for video and component audio to my receiver. Bad idea?

I'd also like to run basic cable to my project. However my receiver doesnt have a cable input or output, is it typical that a DVD player would? Or do I need to run my cable directly to the projector?

If I cant put off noticable better video quality, actually use the High Def potential of the projector, I'm considering buying a typical progressive scan DVD player and a previous generation projector, something not High Def. Because I only watch DVD's and Local Cable.

Am I making to much fuss over something very simple?

Thanks,
    Justin

2. JustinMKN

JustinMKN Auditioning

By the way I'm either thinking refurbished or used Infocus 4805 or high end Panasonic PT-ae900u for the projector.

3. John Titan

John Titan Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest running you dvd player directly to your projector. Especially if it's HDMI capable. Most people only run video through there receiver if they run out of inputs on the display device. It's another step in the cable chain that may or may not degrade the signal a bit. HDMI swithching receivers are about $1K right now so it's probably not worth the extra money for your set-up right now.

As far as the cable goes. You can't run the cable (coax) through you receiver , you need a tuner. It decodes the signal and allows you to change channels which you can't without one.
    2 basic options - Use a VCR as your tuner Or Get Digital/HDTV cable service with a set top box.

Hope this helps

4. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    While the signal can be degraded alittle I have seen great results using component cables from a dvd player to the reciever and then on to a $40k projector. The image was projected on a 120" screen. The projector may have been high dollar but the dvd player and reciever was not. The reciever was a Denon AVR-3805 and there $1500 dvd player. If they can get that kind of performance from that kind of set up I wouldn't worry about lossing anything going through your reciever. I would return your reciever if you can if you really want hdmi switching. Your are currently looking at spending at least $1k for a reciever with hdmi switching. If you are going to buy HD-DVD or Blu-ray later on I would definanty make sure you have hdmi capablility. If you are going to stay with dvd however I would concentrate on a good quality screen and you can still get great results with component inputs. Especially since you can get HD from component cables from cable and satalite sources. You can buy a Denon for a decent price that has 100 MHz video switching that can easily handle HD sources like Satalite or Cable. Hope this helps.

5. BrianNorman

BrianNorman Extra

ok here is your best answer, since i am running basically what you want. haha i try [​IMG]
    I am using a 4805 love it except it could use a little higher lumens rating.
    Denon 3806 and a yamaha normal nothing fancy 200 buck dvd player.
    Just running component video through the reciever it looks almost as good as high def. My friend who owns his own home theater business says my dvd look better on my tv than most 10K plasmas.

One other big big big big note about projectors especially the 4805 and a lot like it. they are not really high def capable. YES they can take HDMI and convert it down to to 480p which looks amazing, even better than most TV's one can get at best buy and and other places like that. The reason for it is that you are taking in a pure hd signal that it reads knows and them applys on a 480p basis which makes it look better than a regular 480p signal.

I am currently looking to get either the matching dvd player to my reciever, or the one right below it which has the same video quality for about 500 less.

if you have any other needs about your stuff let me know and i can have an answer in about a day.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Gentlemen, this thread did not belong in A/V Sources. Obviously, it's now correctly located. Carry on.