What's new

Home Theater Pass Through (1 Viewer)

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Could someone explain to me what exactly this means?

I've read a few people suggest that getting a preamp or integrated amp with HT pass through would help with having a GREAT 2 channel set up that could be integrated into an HT (which I am trying to accomplish).

does it just bypass the preamp functions of my 2 channel rig and allow me to use my 2 channel amp for HT. While still allowing me to use my 2 channel preamp for music only?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Troy

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Actually, the HT passthrough is just a loop, so it passes whatever signal directly to the amp without any gain or other Preamp functions being applied to the signal. So, yes, you are using your 2 channel amp for your front speakers in both HT and 2 channel use. The only bad thing about this is that you have to keep your 2 chan preamp on at all times, which might not bode well for some 2 chan tube preamps, and you have to buy an extra set of interconnects, which might be a moot point if you already have seperate systems. Kind of like using an extension cord. The cord itself is like the interconnects, while the outlet box is like the 2 chan pre in HT bypass mode, all it is doing is accepting a signal and passing it on. hope this helped

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
My Rogue 66 tube preamp has a Unity Gain HT passthrough...so, with a flick of the switch on the preamp, the Rogue's volume control and input are rendered invisible. So invisible that I turn the Rogue OFF when not using it.

I am not sure about the Adcom gfp750's Unity Gain switch (whether or not you can turn it off).

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Troy,

This feature is not a neccesity for integrating a HT into a "killer 2-channel" system.

If your stereo preamp doesn't have this feature, the main ramification is that you now have two volume controls in the signal path (heading to the Main Speakers). My preamp doesn't have this feature, and therefore sometimes I spend a few seconds at the beginning of a DVD adjusting the volume of my Mains to match the other speakers. It's really no big deal.

Good luck to you. Your "plan of attack" is perfectly sound.

Kevin

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys! Much appreciated. I'm just trying to figure out which way I want to take my system. I'm much more critical of my 2 channel music but I just CAN'T live without my HT either... Gotta have my cake and eat it too I guess you could say...

Thanks again!
Troy

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Troy,

The most economical combination would be: HT receiver, 2 channel preamp (with or w/o HT unity bypass), and 2 channel amp. If you are super critical about 2 channel, you can easily spend more on the preamp than the receiver. And all three components are upgradeable independent of the other two.

For example, on a $2500 budget, I'd probably do: Pioneer Elite 45tx (or perhaps Denon 3803 or NAD 762), Rogue 66 magnum (or Adcom gfp750, both with HT bypass), and used Parasound 2200II 250x2. Each ~ $700-900.

On a $1200 budget, you can get a Denon 3802 (600 new) and 300 each on a used 2 channel preamp and 2 channel amp (ie, Parasound 1100 pre and 1000A 125x2 amp).

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Troy,

The most economical combination would be: HT receiver, 2 channel preamp (with or w/o HT unity bypass), and 2 channel amp. If you are super critical about 2 channel, you can easily spend more on the preamp than the receiver. And all three components are upgradeable independent of the other two.

For example, on a $2500 budget, I'd probably do: Pioneer Elite 45tx (or perhaps Denon 3803 or NAD 762), Rogue 66 magnum (or Adcom gfp750, both with HT bypass), and used Parasound 2200II 250x2. Each ~ $700-900.

On a $1200 budget, you can get a Denon 3802 (600 new) and 300 each on a used 2 channel preamp and 2 channel amp (ie, Parasound 1100 pre and 1000A 125x2 amp).

Thanks for the suggestions! I was thinking maybe a used McCormack TLC-1 pre and the McCormack DNA 1 amp. Then I'd figure the receiver out later. thanks for the suggestions! I guess I've got a lot of thinking to do!

Troy

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Troy,

You've got it - "pre-out outputs" from HT amp/receiver get connected into "AUX inputs" of stereo preamp (or some other input).

Simply select AUX as the source input of your preamp, and you are in business.

Kevin

Gordon B

Agent
With the lash up recommended in this thread, is there any way of integrating your sub with the 2 channel part of the system? If your sub is hooked up to the receiver's sub out jack, there would be no way to get the signal to the two channel music system. Right?

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
The idea is to keep away from processing like bass management for music. Some subs (notably some English ones) will accept input from both the high and low level inputs with separate gains and cutoffs and do a sum total - so with these, you can connect the sub to the receiver as usual and also wire the speaker cables to the sub as well as the front speakers.

On the HT pass though side of things, I agree with Kevin.

BruceD

Screenwriter
With the lash up recommended in this thread, is there any way of integrating your sub with the 2 channel part of the system?
It depends on how you want to proceed. Also, just to be clear, my 2-channel pre-amp doesn't have an HT bypass, but the 12o'clock volume position is the unity gain (zero gain) position for use during HT and where I did my speaker calibration.

I tend to disagree with Craig, and have selected a setup that allows for sub output with 2-channel playback (xover @60Hz), even though my mains are -3dB to 32Hz.

See the link in my signature below for a description of the connections.

Essentially during HT DVD use, I send all bass management to the L&R mains and then use an active crossover to split it out to the sub(s). Which means no sub connected to the HT processor's sub-out jack, speaker setup set to sub=NO, mains=Large, center=small, surrounds=small.

During 2-channel use, this same active crossover, a Marchand crossover, is used to split the signal to the sub(s) and L&R mains.

The crossover has high quality low-noise parts and a great S/N ratio, so I can't tell it's even in the signal path.

It has provided me with the most flexible bass management yet for my room and setup.

Gordon B

Agent
Bruce--I couldn't get your equipment link to work for some reason and could use more info on your connections. I assume you are sending full-range signals from the receiver's main speaker pre-outs via interconnects to your pre-amp and from there to your power amp. Does the crossover sit between the power amp and the main speakers and split the signal between the mains and the sub from there?
I have a Sampson amp powering two SVS Ultra subs instead of one powered sub. Does this complicate things even more. Thanks in advance.

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again guys!

I just came across the Krell KAV300i integrated amp (used is in my price range). It has the HT pass through... anyone have experience with the Krell?

BruceD

Screenwriter
Gordon

Can you bring up the HTF member's equipment page?

Member's Equipment Page

I'm about 2/3 of the way down on the third column (BruceD).

A short diagram follows:

1) HT processor L&R analog outs --> 2-channel preamp L&R AUX-IN

2) 2-channel preamp L&R analog outs --> Marchand xover L&R analog ins

3) Marchand xover L&R high-pass outs --> L&R amp ins--> L&R speakers

4) Marchand xover L&R low-pass (sum switch) L out--> powered sub Left in

I have a Sampson amp powering two SVS Ultra subs instead of one powered sub. Does this complicate things even more.
The Marchand supports a L&R low-pass outputs (left and right sub), so your setup doesn't complicate anything, it's a natural fit.

I also happen to use a parametric EQ (Behringer 1100P) between the xover low-pass output and the sub input. This unit also supports stereo subs (L&R) inputs and outputs.

Hope that helps.

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
A few more quick questions...

Would this all work with a passive 2 channel preamp like the McCormack TLC-1?

Another option? Could I just use a "Y" cable interconnect one end comes from my 2 channel preamp, and the other comes from my HT receiver, the single end combines to get plugged into the back of my 2 channel amp. Would this work as long as the preamp that isn't being used is turned off?

Thanks,
Troy

BruceD

Screenwriter
Troy,

The setup I use;
HT processor preouts--> 2-channel preamp ins & outs--> amp ins--> speakers

should work just fine with the McCormack TLC-1 as long as the impedance between the McCormack TLC-1 and your amp is compatible, i.e. enough output voltage from the McCormack TLC-1 to drive your amps and speakers to a high enough volume for your HT use. Sometimes there can be a mismatch between a passive preamp and the amps/speakers regarding volume.

When using the passive preamp for HT sources (and speaker calibration), your McCormack TLC-1 preamps volume control will be turned all the way up (which means no volume attenuation) from the McCormack TLC-1.

All volume control during HT viewing will be from the HT processor.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Using a Y cable like that might cause problems depending on how the outputs of the preamp and HT receiver interact (even when one is turned off). Theory says it's not a good idea as the output impedances are usually lower than the amp input's but you could try it (and let us nkow your findings).

Gordon B

Agent
Bruce -- the equipment list won't come up either. Thanks for the diagram. It helps, but I still have some questions because I am confused by your terminology. When you say analog outs,I take it that's the pre-outs. If so, this is how it would translate to my equipment
I run interconnects from my receiver (Denon 4800)l/r preouts to the pre-amp(yet to be bought) inputs and then another set of interconnects from the pre-amp outputs to the Marchand X-over (yet to be bought). Then a set of interconnects carries the high pass material form the X-over to my power amp (Parasound 1500A)inputs and then out to the speakers (B&W 7NTs). The X-over low pass material goes to my Sampson amp via interconnects and then out to my two Ultras.
Seems like a simple, elegant solution to a complicated problem. What Marchand X-over do you recommend for my set up?

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Gordon, your string seems to make sense, in that there is a daisy chain of interconnects, with each set of interconnects either going to a preamp, amp, sub amp or crossover unit. This way, if you wish, you can set only your mains to full frequency with the Denon, and then use the high end crossover to sift out the low end sound to be routed to the subs.
As for crossover units by Marchand, all the ones that I have heard were incredible. Well built, easy to set up, and totally transparent. I forgot the model # (I think XM9) but it worked well with a 50 hz crossover point. As for where to purchase one, I believe that there are a couple for sale either on ebay
or audiogon
(dont want my post to be deleted, so used spoilers just in case) Good luck, and it looks like you are on your way towards a nice integration.

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys!

I'll have to do some auditioning and see what I like. If all else fails I'll just have to swap out interconnects on the amp every time I want to watch a movie. I listen to a lot more music than movies, so it would only be done once or twice a week...

Thanks again,
Troy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks