What's new

Home theater novice: Just bought Polk speakers, now looking for a receiver and thinking about the De (1 Viewer)

ksilva09

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle Silva
Hi there, I just bought Polk speakers with my new TV. I bought the TSi400s, TSi100s, CS20 and the PSW111. I'm looking into the Denon AVR-1712 but it's a 7.1 channel receiver. This should work fine right? Should I bi-amp the front speakers? Any other suggestions for a receiver? The speakers look great in the room and I don't think I should add anymore because of the sizing of the room. I do want to know if you think that the sub would be fine or if I'd be better off with the PSW125. I didn't buy it because of it's size, but do you think that I'd be sacrificing a lot by going with the PSW111? Thank you for your input, Kyle

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yes, you can use the Denon in a 5.1 setup. Don't bother bi-amping. You will not gain anything from this setup. For the sub, I suggest either Lava (a newcomer that is popular around here) or BIC. IF you want to step it up a notch or 3 (and your budget allows it), check out SVS.

ksilva09

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle Silva
Ok thanks for the advice. About the sub, I need to stick with one of the Polk's because I got it for free with a Polk special from Crutchfield.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
David Willow said:
Well you can't beat free. :D
Sure you can. Sell the Polk, use the prceeds towards a Lava or BIC. Half off a Lava beats a free polk any day of the week. Just kidding of course. Well.... The 8" Polk 111 only goes down to 38hz. Not good for a $300 sub. The 12" 125 only goes to 32 but for $25 more it's worth the upgrade, and the bigger size. And sorry for being blunt but entry level Polk subs really aren't that great comparaed to the competition. The 505 (23 hz) was O.K. for $229 but I think that one is now exclusive to NewEgg. And they're out of stock. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290130 Seriously, pay a little more for the 125 or sell the 111 and get a Lava or Bic (or Dayton).

ksilva09

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle Silva
Ok then, definitely something I will now look into. Last question: could I place the subwoofer on my brick fireplace's outer hearth? It's definitely big enough, but it's about 6 inches higher than the hardwood floor. Does that matter?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Last question: could I place the subwoofer on my brick fireplace's outer hearth?
Some down-firing subs are calibrated with carpeting in mind. There are also bad-to-good places to place a sub based on your specific room configuration. (Look up "floor crawl".) But other than that, placing a sub on the hearth won't affect accoutics. However, if you are going to use the fireplace, heat is not good for electronics. And probably not great for the driver adheasives either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks