Home theater newbie

DangerMaus

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Lammers
Hello,
I want to add some sort of spaekers to my TV setup but not sure how best to proceed. Here are the component of my system:
The TV doesn't have any audio outputs so I believe I need to get a receiver and speakers but I was hoping to do something cheap for now and get a good system down the road.
Any suggestions on what I need?
-dm

DangerMaus

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Lammers
Thanks for the suggestion. What are my options for systems I can add? Does it have to be 5.1 surround system with receiver? Can it be something less?
-dm

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
DangerMaus said:
Thanks for the suggestion. What are my options for systems I can add? Does it have to be 5.1 surround system with receiver? Can it be something less?
-dm
You could likely run it as stereo, 2.1 or 3.1 by setting the speakers in the configuration menu.

DangerMaus

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Lammers
Thanks. I guess what I really want to find out is what kind of hardware can I get by with. What are the minimum specifications the receiverspeakers need to have to work with my system?
-dm

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
That would be up to your preference. Could be as simple as a stereo amp with two speakers connected to the TVs audio out ... but you'll likely want something a bit better depending on your budget.

Al.Anderson

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
All of your equipment have HDMI ports, so all you "need" is a receiver with two HDMI ports to lug in the DVD-R and tuner. Speakers are tied to the receiver and you audio preferences, not the equipment you have, So the question becomes what do you want? What are you using it for (movies/music), how loud to you want it? How big is your room? How much do you value simplicity over performance? And on and on. As you answer some questions, other will present themselves.
To give you some idea, if all you want to do is liven up the TV sound a notch you could add a soundbar with HDMI inputs. It's not my cup of tea, but it serves some people well. Price is usually around $200. If you'd like a taste of surround sound, but don't really want any bells and whistles or higher end audio, you can go with a entry level, but decent Home Theater in a Box. Onkyo makes these with "real" receivers, so you aren't accepting manu of the limitations of low-end HTIBs. Price is usually around $350. From there you move into separates (receiver, spreakers, maybe sub all purchased separately). Price goes from $450 to as much as you can spend.

DangerMaus

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Lammers
Another noob question. If I get a receiver that has 2 HDMI inputs (1 for DVD and 1 for cable box) what do I do to get video to the TV? Do I run HDMI from receiver to the TV?
-dm

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
DangerMaus said:
Another noob question. If I get a receiver that has 2 HDMI inputs (1 for DVD and 1 for cable box) what do I do to get video to the TV? Do I run HDMI from receiver to the TV?
-dm
Yes - HDMI to TV - just make sure the receiver 'samples' the audio from HDMI inputs - most all newer models do ... while some older model receivers did not (in case you're thinking of buying used).

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karajirabneha