Home Theater Newbie?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stan Chaya, Jan 30, 2001.

1. Stan Chaya

Stan Chaya Auditioning

Hello everyone. I'm in the process of building a dedicated home theater room in the basement of my unfinished ranch and I have a few questions. The room size will be 30' x 12' 1/2" x 7' 1/2" give or take a few inches. Equipment List
    TV --------- RCA 46" RPTV
    Receiver --- Yamaha RX - V596
    Fronts ----- B&W DM602 S2
    Center ----- B&W CC6 S2
    Rears ------ B&W DS6 (Dipole)
    Sub -------- B&W ASW 1000
    Also this room will have a totally separate Karaoke system.
    I wanted to flush my TV into the front wall, since the room is under construction right now this would not be a problem. I was going to build speaker cavities in the wall large enough to be able to aim the speakers to house the front three speaker but I've been hearing bad things about this location. People basically say don't do it but really don't say why. Question 1: So why shouldn't you use this method? Qustion 2: If I have to move the TV & speaker location where should I place them? Now I think that I need to inform you that my goal for this room is great sound. If I have to move the TV from that location I will get over it.
    As I stated I'm currently building this room and I want to achieve the best possible sound. I'm no stranger to great sound because I've built a highly competitive competition car that I compete with in IASCA. As you know a car is not the best soundstage so it takes a lot of patients and time. You can check it out at http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/street/3611 I built the car from the ground up (My car is the 1983 Mercury Capri RS that is blue and lavender). Question 3: What materials should I use to cover the walls? Question 4: Are there any web sites that I might be able to take a look at that might explain some of this to me. I'm not one to just build something and let it go it has to be right the first time I don't like to take short cuts.
    Thanks for your time. If there is anything that I left out please let me know and I will try to fill in the blanks. If anyone has anything to add that they think might help me in my quest please feel free to reply.
    Stan Chaya

2. Bob_Wilson

Bob_Wilson Agent

Stan,

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Stan
    It's best to use speakers that are specifically designed for flush mounting. Your B&Ws are designed to be mounted away from the walls, and will give the best sound when placed this way.
    Now yes I've seen all the fancy custom installs with hidden speakers, but my experience is that unless the speaker has been specifically "voiced" for this, the performance suffers.
    So unless you want to custom build speakers specifically designed for flush mounting, plan on having the the L-C-R speakers on stands, and away from the walls.

4. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

>The room size will be 30' x 12' 1/2" x 7' 1/2" give or take a few inches.
    ====
    For good sound, you need a good room acoustic ratio. This means reducing the long wall to 17.5ft. I recommend that the new false wall be opposite the TV wall, mounted with isolation strips, and 'bent' so that it has an in-peak L-R for good LF standing wave cancellation.
    I also recommend that one long wall have an angled false wall added to it, so that the TV wall is 17.5" narrower than the rear wall. This is to reduce 'slap' echo.
    ====
    >Equipment List
    TV --------- RCA 46" RPTV
    Receiver --- Yamaha RX - V596
    Fronts ----- B&W DM602 S2
    Center ----- B&W CC6 S2
    Rears ------ B&W DS6 (Dipole)
    Sub -------- B&W ASW 1000
    Also this room will have a totally separate Karaoke system.
    ====
    I don't keep up with the gear anymore, so can't comment.
    ====
    >I wanted to flush my TV into the front wall, since the room is under construction right now this would not be a problem. I was going to build speaker cavities in the wall large enough to be able to aim the speakers to house the front three speaker but I've been hearing bad things about this location. People basically say don't do it but really don't say why. Question 1: So why shouldn't you use this method?
    ====
    Bob and Tom has this covered. If you have the hots for in-wall, and already have the equipment, then build the false wall to flush the equipment, and add a peak to the other wall. This will give you plenty of work area behind the equipment.
    WRT the speaker directivity Q problem that Tom implies, if you already have the speakers, acoustic foam judiciously applied in the wall cavities and around the tweeter/baffle face goes a long way toward getting the ~optimal 60x60deg polar pattern needed for HT.
    Forget a fancy wood front, etc, as you'll need acoustic panels covering the whole wall to quell any early reflections that the foam doesn't get.
    ====
    > Qustion 2: If I have to move the TV & speaker location where should I place them? Now I think that I need to inform you that my goal for this room is great sound. If I have to move the TV from that location I will get over it.
    ====
    The optimum is to arrange it as close as reasonably possible as it is in the mixdown studio. Peruse this: http://www.dolby.com/tech/L.mn.0002.5.1Guide.s.pdf
    GM
    ------------------
    Loud is beautiful, if it's clean