Home Theater Master universal remote: MX-500 vs MX700

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronG, Jun 26, 2002.

1. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy one of these remotes, and I need some opinions. Which one is better? Is the PC programability of the 700 worth the extra cash?

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I own both units. I run the 700 in my main system and the 500 in my smaller system.

IMO, they both represent the best bang for the buck (for hard button based remotes) at their respective price levels (which Chris notes above.)

As I'm sure you are aware, there are several differences between the 2 and yet there are also many similarities.

Since you seem familiar with the 500, I'll go over a few of the 700's differences...

It supports 20 devices vs. the 500's 10.

The 700 has 4 LCD pages per device vs. the 500's 2 pages.

The 700 can support up to 192 step macros on every key vs. the 500's 15 basic macros (and 50 favorite type macros, which aren't full macros.)

You can backup the 700 and save the configuration to re-load later.

The 700's PC link program allows the user to graphically evaluate what a setup will look like (and easily make changes.) The 500 can take a bit of time for this kind of tweaking. (IMO, the 700's PC program takes a bit of getting used to. But once you had a chance to practice, it does get easier.)

The 700 comes with the MX-200, an easy to use, very basic, remote for less sophisticated users. It supports any button that can be programmed to the 700, macros and all! (I use mine along with my MX-500 in my 2nd system. It (the MX-200) is very handy!)

The 700, while shaped exactly the same as the 500, has a few less keys on it than the 500. For me, I like the less cluttered feel/appearance. But some Tivo users seem to like the 500's layout a bit better.

There are other considerations but these are some of the bigger ones.

Which should you buy? Well, I feel that in the end, if you don't need lots of customization or more than a handful of macros, the 500 should be more than enough. I went for the 700 because I wanted the PC link and the ability to endlessly tweak (when and if the mood struck.)

Either way, I don't think you can miss...