What's new

Home Theater Master MX-500 (1 Viewer)

Aristides

Agent
Just got this remote last night and have been having fun trying to get all 6 of my remotes programmed into one. So far I've completed the basic programming for 5 of them. However, I have a Sony tape deck that has no remote control. I tried the codes listed in the manual to no avail. And as none of my other components are Sony brand have no way of manually programming the functions for the tape deck into the MX-500.

My question is, are there 'hacks' or user created codes that can be downloaded to operate other components not listed in the manual?

If not, is this an option: Take the MX-500 to a A/V store and use a Sony remote to program tape deck functions to my remote?

As I mentioned I have 6 remotes otherwise all of which have been programmed to control most of the other components, but am still relegated to keeping 2-3 available at all times.

Looking forward to a one remote solution.

Thanks in advance,
Aristides

PaulT

Supporting Actor

Yes there are, but you need to get the irClone device which plugs into your computer and can upload/download the codes to the MX500. For this check the http://www.irclone.com website or http://www.bluedo.com or http://www.surfremotecontrol.com/. At that point you still need to find the data (http://www.remotecentral.com has a repository of MX500 codes in it's 'files' section).

For now your best bet is to find a remote that will work with your tape deck - say an inexpensive (15 or 20 dollar) 'One For All' from Walmart - and learn the codes from that to the MX500. Or as you have said, one from an AV store that you can borrow temporarily.

I have 2 MX500's and am extremely happy with them. There is a newly delivered irclone sitting at home waiting for me to start playing with once I get back from out of the country.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
This is probably the best alternative. I can tell you that OneForAll remotes that I've used have worked very well for my Sont Tape Decks using their in-remote code library. Their lower priced remotes are well under $30 and will give you the programming flexibility that you are after.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Are you certain that your Sony tape deck is even capable of being controlled by a remote? Did you lose the remote, or did one not come with the device?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If the Sony tape deck has a little "R" logo on the front and a sensor, it's capable of being controlled. Both of my Sony tape decks have this logo and are capable of being controlled by a remote, but neither came with a remote. I got a stereo system remote from the Sony outlet in Lancaster PA many years ago that works with both my Sony tape decks, as do my OneForAll remotes. I suspect that Aristides' decks share this capability.

Also, Aristides, since you're in Lancaster PA you should swing by the Outlet and look for a bin of old remotes that they usually have there, when I went there they had a bunch of stereo remotes for $10 each, and some had tape controls which work great.

Aristides

Agent
Yeah, I actually got the tape deck at the Sony outlets out here. When I purchased the deck I had a Sony receiver that without any programming, operated the tape deck. I no longer have the receiver and never learned the sony recvr. functions to my new receiver.

I hate to spend $30 on another remote that will essentially just get tossed after 5 minutes of programming. I'll check the local retailer and see if I can borrow a Sony remote or if that fails...check out the Sony outlet.

Thanks,
Aristides

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks