home theater luxury items

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by george kaplan, Jul 12, 2001.

1. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I'm looking for suggestions beyond what I've already done with my home theater. I'm pretty much asking about the accessories that are nice to have, rather than the core items.
    Let me first tell you a little about what I have and what I already have ruled out.
    My TV is a 58' Pioneer RPTV, ISF calibrated. I'm very happy with this and couldn't afford an upgrade in the near future anyway.
    The DVD player is the rp91. Very happy for now. I'm sure I'll upgrade at some point, but no need now.
    Speakers - have more than I need. Ever since my son was born, the only time we watch is when he's asleep, so I've had to turn the subwoofer off anyway.
    Dedicated Home Theater - This would be a great dream, but way out of my budget. My living room right now doubles for my home theater and that's the best it's going to get for a long while.
    I also have a satellite dish & replay tv.
    Now, the 'luxury' items:
    Remote control - I have a pronto (actually rc5000) and am very happy. I could upgrade to the color version, but that doesn't seem worth the money at the moment.
    X-10 - I have this for lighting, automatically in my pronto macros.
    Seating - I do not have any special seating (we use the couch), but given it's my living room, I think that's off limits.
    Popcorn Machine - I have it, I love it.
    Posters - Have a number of posters, including a rear-illuminated case.
    Are there any other luxury type items? I make a decent, middle-class income, and spend most of my discretionary budget on dvds and my home theater, but money is definitely a concern. Right now, I can't think of anything else to add (that's in my budget), but maybe there's something I'm missing. Any ideas are appreciated.
    BTW, my wife is also into home theater, so I'm very lucky, and she basically lets me spend what I want, but, she does think my hobby needs to come after buying food, diapers, and paying the mortgage and other bills [​IMG].
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

2. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

C'mon now George. You haven't left much out. There's nothing left to suggest. [​IMG]
    Seems to me you're going to need to start thinking about front projection in order to have something to add. [​IMG]
    Deane

3. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

An inexpensive and easy to install upgrade would be bass shakers. I can't believe the difference they make. They are without a doubt the single biggest upgrade I have done and you can pick up the whole package with amps for about $100 on ebay.
    ------------------
    The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again! The Humble Hanson Theater

4. Mike Gariepy

Mike Gariepy Stunt Coordinator

5. george kaplan

Thanks for all the ideas. As far as bass shakers, what are those exactly? It sounds like something to enhance the bass, but like I said, with a baby in the house, I can't even use my subwoofer these days.
    I do like the intro idea. I might even try to get fancy. I do have two dvd players in my living room. I wonder if I could set up a pronto macro that'd play the intro on one, and then have the other player start playing the movie at just the right time? Might be fun to try.
    I'm not sure whether I'd spring for the custom intro, or just buy that drive-in movie dvd I read about a while back. I worry about the cost when the site won't even say how much a dvd would cost. I'm not the kind of person who can afford to eat in a restaurant where the menu doesn't have prices. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001
    [Edited last by george kaplan on July 13, 2001 at 11:10 AM]

6. Rudy R

Rudy R Auditioning

Get an LD player and pick up some DTS titles.
    Also a Dolby and DTS Plaque dolby dts

7. george kaplan

I forgot to mention that I already have a laser disc player. I still have 87 films on laser that aren't yet available on dvd. It is a great suggestion though. [​IMG]
    I did buy that drive-in disc however, and pretty much have it set up. Push a button on the pronto, and first you get "Let's all go the the lobby", followed by the Old guy telling the kids to be quiet, and finally "And now on with the show", which fades to black just as the movie starts in my other dvd player. I'll only use it on special occasions, but it is pretty cool (and funny).
    ------------------

8. Martin W

Martin W Agent

George: Bass shakers do not enhance the bass, they enhance the physical feeling of bass. Low-frequent bass is much more a feeling for the whole body than the for the ears. Basically you mount the bass shaking devices under your couch, wire them to an additional amplifier (any stereo amp will do) which is connected to the subwoofer output of your reciever.
    I haven't tried these myself but I'm considering it since its real hard to get the "pant-blowing" experience without raging neighbours... [​IMG]

9. Darryll Petrancuri

Darryll Petrancuri Auditioning

Greetings!
    Let's see...
    Bass Shakers
    Motorized Curtain (for FPTV systems)
    Custom Trailer
    Custom Programmed Theater Control System with Touch Screen 1-Button Play of any DVD, setting correct modes for all devices
    Voice Control
    Fiber Optic lighting (perimeter lighting, screen lighting, etc.)
    On-Screen Caller-ID
    Dry Bar
    Wet Bar
    Microwave
    Refrigerator (self-stocking)
    Gourmet Snacks (self-stocking)
    Bathroom (with Monitor)
    Integrated Multi-Zoned Lighting (via GrafikEye)
    Scantily clad Usherette
    etc. :)
    ------------------
    Best Regards,
    Darryll
    "Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try." - Jedi Master Yoda
    Visit the web site of our dedicated home theater / media room, The Nexus.

10. george kaplan

Darryl,
    I'll admit, one of your suggestions caught my eye. So, where exactly do I purchase a Scantily clad Usherette and how much would she cost? [​IMG]
    ------------------

11. Jeff Loughridge

Jeff Loughridge Stunt Coordinator

Where can I get that drive-in movie disc???
    ------------------
    Jeff Loughridge
    Director of Engineering
    WPGC/WHFS
    Infinity Broadcasting Corp
    jloughridge@cbs.com

12. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

Doug, which model of the Auras do you have?
    I almost picked up some on uBid a couple of nights ago but they were the 5.25" models and I'm planning to mount some underneath the floor and just couldn't imagine something that small being able to transmit any meaningful energy through my floor.
    I also started building some homemade shakers a couple of years ago using instructions I found somewhere on the net. Somewhere along the way the project got abandoned. Maybe I need to drag all those pieces and parts back out.
    Jerry

13. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Well,you said you have a popcorn machine.I recently saw an add for a popcorn fork so you dont get messy fingers....I thought that was half the fun though.
    They are found atwww.popcornfork.com
    ------------------

14. george kaplan

Jeff,
    I got it at Best Buy. My local one had three copies. They were in the horror section (the two drive-in movies included on the disc are cheesy 50s horror flicks).
    ------------------

15. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

You might also want to consider film reel tables. You might find these in a high-end catalog for over $300 a piece, but I made my own for about $70 a piece and they look sensational. You need to acquire the reels of course, get 1/8" thick mild steel tubing and have three rods welded to the reels, and then have a glass cutter cut you some round table tops. You'll need to put rubber or cork pads between the top reel and the glass. Of course, before you put the glass on, you can spray paint primer and paint on the tables. They come in handy and are great conversation pieces.
    [Edited last by David Tolsky on July 19, 2001 at 12:52 AM]

16. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Myself, I went the DIY approach. Of course, it didn't hurt that I can do stained glass, woodwork, and electrical. I couldn't devote the kind of time to a project like this again any time soon due to business interests, but it was quite an experience.
    Visit my homepage to see the Lexiglass . Obviously, a person could contract out the glass design/work/box. Or choose to do whichever of the phases that you could yourself. But one thing's for sure, it added distinctive character to my theater/great room and there's not another one like it in existance. I know it, because I designed it.
    Lex
    ------------------
    Lexman's Theater

17. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

You do have a DVD Marquee from ShowOff Displays, right?
    ------------------
    http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/