What's new

Home Theater Issues (1 Viewer)

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The six analog outputs of the dvd player is probably for dvd-a and/or sacd 5.1 music playback. That is the ONLY way to hear the high resolution tracks, of dvd-a and sacd discs (other than high end equipment, that uses proprietary connections). Also, I suppose you could have a cheap receiver, with the six analog inputs, and the dvd player's DACs could be better, so you'd use those, instead of digital connection. For your use, it should be for dvd-a or sacd (fantastic, BTW).

I have no idea about the ColourStream Pro connections. Not familiar with that, at all. Maybe someone else will chime in with info on that. Yes, I'm pretty sure the HDMI will carry the analog video also. Since I don't have experience with HDMI, I can't swear to it though. If it doesn't, when you hook it up, connect an s-video cable, or yellow rca composite cable.

I've also never heard of 110220volts.com. Again, maybe someone else will chime in.

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I realize this thread has gone on for a while but just in case there remains a lingering interest in a combo unit, you may want to consider the Samsung DVD-VR335 (or whatever it's 2007 incarnation is when the new model becomes available). It has both coaxial and optical audio outputs. It outputs both the VCR and DVD recorder/player via HDMI. Here's a link to the manual.
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...XAA-ENG-BM.pdf

gojays_1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wayne
Ed:

You kind of lost me there. I'm not quite sure what a dvd/a or a sacd 5.1 is?!
Would I still need the analog inputs for everything else or just those?

I don't think I have a cheap receiver (it is 3 years old but it was highly recommended by someone my brother in law trusts) and I paid a pretty penny for it!

Bluzman: I was all set to order my Toshiba DVD player (had my credit card in hand!) when I checked this board and saw your post. After a quick review of the Samsung I decided to stick with the advice I was given here. That is just to buy separate units. The Samsung got mixed reviews and is very expensive.
Thanks anyway.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
No........you misunderstood me.
I wasn't saying you have a cheap receiver. I was saying........ suppose you did. The dvd player might have better DACs in it, than a cheap receiver might have. It was just as an example, trying to explain why you might use the six analog outputs. Using the six analog outputs means the dvd player is doing the processing. Using the digital output means the receiver is doing the processing. So, use the six analog outputs for dvd-a and sacd, and use the digital output for movies and redbook cds. When listening through the six analog outputs, use the "Multi-Channel" mode instead of DVD mode.

You don't know about dvd-a and sacd! Duuuuuude! lol
DVD-a (DVD-Audio) is not talking about the audio from a dvd. That, and sacd (super audio compact disc), are 5.1 High Resolution surround sound music discs. Some are outstanding, and some aren't so great. For sacd, Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, is OUTSTANDING, along with some others. For dvd-a, Yes' Fragile album is outstanding, along with others. There's been a big format war going on between them, for about 3-4 yrs. now. Neither one really won, or was embraced by the overall public. You're into home theater, and don't know about them! It's no wonder they didn't go very far................ :frowning:

Mike Prades

Agent
Wayne, if you haven't pulled the trigger yet and still want an Oppo, there are at least two Toronto-based dealers that sell them in their online store.

solutionsav.ca and onlybestrated.com

Jenita

Auditioning
Real Name
Jenita
Hi,

I think HDMI upconversion technology is best.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Screamin

Grip
Real Name
Wayne A. Ricard
Wayne... a fellow Canadian here. I live in Durham Region (east of you) and recently finished my HT project. I bought almost everything from Complete IT in Burlington. I would highly recommend giving them a call or visiting the website @ complete-it.ca The place is run by Kevin Benton. He's very knowledgable and patient. I spent hours on the phone with him before ordering anything.

You can purchase the Oppo dvd player through him. I originally bought the 971 but just upgraded to the 981. It's an EXCELLENT dvd player and worth every penny.

Good luck.

gojays_1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wayne
Wow so many replies. Thanks all.

Guess what? The place that I oredered my DVD player does not have it in stock! So now I'm back to considering the Oppo that everyone here seems to love. I found a site that has it for $266 Canadian. Is that a good deal? It probably works out to about $220 U.S.

Ed: Don't worry:) I wasn't sure if you thought I had a cheap receiver but the way you worded it was hard to understand. I am still fairly new to Home Theater believe it or not. I just picked up a lot here and there in the last few weeks. This board has educated me big time. I'm not big into all the new audio stuff. I just like to listen to (redbook?)regular CD's. They sound good to me.

The Oppo I am now reconsidering does not have the component video out jack. But again, I don't think it's necessary if I'm hooking up the DVD player to my HD T.V. with the HDMI cable. Can anyone confirm that? I guess other DVD players have both HDMI and Component video in case someone buys the DVD player that does not have an HD T.V.(not sure why you would?)

Screamin: It's funny but I found the Oppo on the Complete It website before I logged on. If I call Kevin should I mention that you referred me? Maybe I could get a discount. :laugh:

Mike: I checked out both sites and they have the Oppo as well. All about the same price. Thanks. Pulled the trigger but it was on the safety!:)

Screamin

Grip
Real Name
Wayne A. Ricard

Feel free to tell him that I (Wayne Ricard) referred you. I did a lot of research on prices etc after I found his website and in the end was convinced that he has the best prices around. I think he'll ship your first order free so make sure you don't forget anything. BTW, the Oppo 981 comes with an HDMI cable.

I wouldn't worry about it not having a component cable connection - as you say, you don't need it if you're tv has an HDMI input. But, you will need to run a separate audio cable to your receiver unless it has an HDMI input.

Best of luck.

Screamin

gojays_1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wayne
I have two more questions for anyone who wishes to chime in:

Regarding the Digital Coaxial Cable which I plan to use to hook up dvd player to receiver for sound; some are much more expensive than others. Is it important to get really good quality Coaxial cables or will cheap ones do?
For example, I found the Ultralink CS1 cables (6.5 feet) for $15. Wheras the ULTRALINK® DIGITAL PRO (6.5 feet) is $160. Or am I better to go with a middle of the road cable like the Ultralink Advanced Performance (6.5 feet) for $50? The Advanced was the one recommended by the aforementioned Kevin from Complete-It.

Second question is regarding my intention to hook up the upconversion DVD player to T.V. via HDMI cable for vidieo and from DVD player to Receiver via Coaxial Digital for audio. This might be a silly question, but should both cables be the same length so the video and audio will be sychronized?

Any and all input appreciated.

Thanks

Screamin

Grip
Real Name
Wayne A. Ricard
Regarding cables - or any other component in the system - my approach is to match the quality as best I can. For example, it doesn't make much sense to have a top of the line amp and cheap speakers or vice versa. So with your coaxial cable question, I would recommend matching it with the quality of the rest of your system - while keeping in mind the potential to upgrade.

From experience, I can tell you that Kevin is BIG believer in high quality cables - again I bought all my cables (about $600 worth) from him. But compare his price with Monster Cables at Future Shop and you'll find that he's very reasonable.

I don't think the length of cable for the distance you're dealing with makes a difference. It might if you were talking about several hundred feet.

You'll have to post pics when youget it all set up.:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

There is no such thing as a "Digital Coaxial Cable", it is marketing hoohaw. The specification for the SPDIF (digital coax audio) standard is an RCA terminated 75 Ohm coaxial cable. Coincidently, a standard video cable is an RCA terminated 75 Ohm coaxial cable. Wow, you think maybe these SPDIF specification folks were on to something?
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
Shhhh, now don't tell the high end cable folks, but a cheapo came-in-the-box-with-any-video-component-for-the-last-20-years-yellow-ended video cable will transmit digital audio as well as a cable that costs $1000+.

Also, it is another marketing myth that cables should be the same length. The speed of electrons in the cables approaches the speed of light. You might as well ask if you should synch the sound to each ear because you watch with your head slightly tilted, for the sound leaving the speaker is almost infinitely slower than the speed of the signal through the wire.

gojays_1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wayne
Well, two very disparate opinions to say the least!

In respones to Screamin, I think it may be good advice to stick to the same quality cables as the rest of the components. Makes sense. I'd also add that you must consider the source when seeking advice. I don't really know this Kevin person, but he is someone selling the cables and from what I've heard that's where a lot of money can be made by electronics stores. So you have to take that into consideration.

In response to Jeff, I am no expert in rca/digital cables but you are probably right in that they are basically sending the same signals. Maybe the vast difference in price is related to quality of the cable and ensuring that the signal will not be prone to interference from other power sources. Just a guess.

As for length of cables you guys both make good sense. If the signal is being transmitted that fast a small variance in cable length should not have an impact.

Anyone else care to chime in, please do. How about you ED?

Wayne

Screamin

Grip
Real Name
Wayne A. Ricard
With all due respect to Jeff... there is no way I'd spend good money on a HT receiver and DVD player and then connect them with a "cheapo came-in-the-box-with-any-video-component-for-the-last-20-years-yellow-ended video cable". Audio cables are coaxial for a reason and those yellow video cables are not coaxial. There's an old adage that says a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Trust me, the actual specification drawn up by the engineers who invented the standard only requires a 75 Ohm RCA coax video cable. All the "Extra Special Made for Digital" labels on the packaging is simply hype to get you to spend $50-100 on a cable that should cost around $2. I have a digital coax connection that has been running for 4 years transmitting both Dolby Digital and PCM from my cable box to my Denon 3805. The cable came free in the box with a Sony DVD player. Never had a drop out and never had a failure. Digital, unlike analog, isn't effected by subtle variances in cable quality (neither is analog, really, but that's another story). The thing with digital is it is either received or it is not. If the cable doesn't work - dropouts galore and/or silence. If the cable does work - uninterrupted quality sound.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

It's digital. It either works or it doesn't. You are just falling for the "weakest link" marketing hype. I used to sell audio and computers and I just loved folks like you. The markup on "premium" cables used to be 300% and my commission was obscene on these (especially Monster). If our markup was 300%, imagine what the manufacturer's was? I'm just helping you save some money, I don't really care what you buy.

PS - Composite video cables are coax by definition. They are the same as analog audio cables except they are 75 Ohm (a higher standard than the analog audio cables). There's no such thing as a "digital coax cable", it is a madeup marketing term that came after the specification. The scientists behind the SPDIF (i.e. digital coax) specification built it to require a common everyday 75 Ohm video cable and that's what it requires, nothing more. I wouldn't be taking any more information from salesmen if I were you.

http://www.datapro.net/products/1181.html

Greg Gable

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
Please dont waste your money on expensive cables go to Monoprice or Bluejeans and get a great cable at a very low cost. Would I put cheap tires on a Porsche...no way...would I put low cost cables on a $6000 HT system...you bet...

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I agree with Greg.................I got my cables at Radio Shack (their brand). Not the very cheapest, but not their expensive ones either. They were on clearance. I think I paid about $2 - $3 a pair, for 3 pair (clearance price). Those are the six I use for the 5.1 outputs, from my universal dvd player. I paid about $6 - $8 for my digital coax cable at Radio Shack, on sale. I got my optical cable from Wal Mart, for about $8. This was 4-5 yrs. ago.

To listen to my system, you'd never know they aren't $300 worth of Monster cables. Save some money on your cables, and go buy some movies to watch, with what you saved. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks