Home Theater installation business

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Eric_L, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Yes, today was a shitty day at work. I'll probably just turn the other cheek and go back tomorrow, but damn they are getting raw.

Today I got to thinking - a dangerous endeavor - 'Hey, why don't I tell those schmukks to kiss my cheeks and go start my own businesss! I pretty much run a business myself already - may as well get the perks."

One of the many ideas I had (which is far more practical than hand-fitted bras) was to design, sell and install home theater systems. I've got the interest and a reasonable amount of know-how. Just a bit of polishing and I could make a go at it. I'm pretty sure there are not many noteable compeitors in my market. I have vast experience in sales and a good work ethic.

I'm curious, what could a person opperating alone expect to pull down in a business like this? Surely there are folks here who are already making it work. What is a reasonable expectation for hours/income and future growth?

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Your mileage will vary but I wouldn't count on it as a primary source of income for the first few months. Takes time for word-of-mouth (and advertising) to get around for you to build a big enough client base.

Keep in mind that to make a home business succeed, you will probably have to work harder and longer than you ever had before, especially in the beginning.

I know a couple of people who do consulting-type work like that and, from my perspective, the biggest headache about the whole thing is billing. Make sure you cover your ass and keep good written records in case you have to go to court for some dead beat client.

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    My brother in law looked into this in the Indianapolis, IN area with many of the same thoughts. What he found was that it is a hard business to break into, and the current businesses were having a tough time of it.

Emphasizing the point, the semi-boutique home theater store Ovation, which carried the more high-end equipment in his area, is going out of business nationally. It seems that people don't want to pay for service when buying HT equipment.

Your area may be different. Who would have thought a person could make money tweaking the color settings of TVs? So, there's money out in HT-services for the person with the right plan, service (and some serendipity).

Just do your research to make sure it's got a chance of succeeding.

4. Benjamin-Es

Benjamin-Es Auditioning

I had also a shitty day, but I can't send anyone to hell as I am one of the owners. I started a consulting business years ago (7) and later (2 years) merges with other firm. I realized now that some of my partners do not know how to work in a team, or at least do not do it it my way, which is of course the best way [​IMG] .

ahhhhh

5. Benjamin-Es

Benjamin-Es Auditioning

ooo yes the OP. Having your own business is tough. Just do not do it for the wrong reason (ie. having troubles at your current job).

On the brighter side, having your own company is VERY gratifying, but yes, you have to put a lot of time into it; someone said maybe the first month. I guess it should have said the first year or two.

good luck

6. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Yea, I figured as much. Thanks.

The market here could be attractive for the right person. There are plenty of affluent seniors. The trick however isn't getting to them (impossible) it would be getting to the contractors and decorators who build and remodel their homes.

I pretty much run my own business now. It is in a highly regulated field with pirce controls, etc. Working 100% on commissions is OK, until someone arbitrarily decides to change the amount you earn on a transaction - which has been occurring almost monthly lately. It got me to thinking there has to be a better way where only I control the profit and overhead...

So if the HT idea is bad, I'm left with just the hand fitted custom bra company idea...

7. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

I know the market is prime where you are at Eric. Everytime I visit my parents down there in Port Charlotte, I look for places to browse for HT stuff and other than Circuit City, I have to go to Ft. Myers. There are so many new builds down there from the hurricane I would think you would have prime business for a while, even if its just basic pre-wire. My parents are the perfect example. Their house is still only getting started and the contractor is trying to tell them where to have the speakers wired, and its way wrong, but what are you going to do. Good luck you you decide on this type of thing.

8. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I would say that the home theatre installation business is kinda in a slump. I do believe it is the calm before the storm too. The main deciding factor is location, location, location. I also think one cannot just do home theatre but should diversify into other areas too. Like alarm and networking and phones and cables. Doing just one type of installation may not be enough to keep busy(ask me how i know...lol)

9. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Hey Brandon;

You should drop me a line next time you're in town. I hope things are well w' your parents home. I just moved into mine in November - the contractor is still finishing up.

10. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

I just might do that Eric, I anticipate coming down for a visit in May or June.

11. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

www.theaterextreme.com

These guys started in my backyard (DE) and are franchising all over the USA. Looks like they now have approx 18 locations. The biz model is mid-priced FP dedicated home theater packages. They pretty much do custom setups using std. DLP projectors w/ screens and furniture (optional). They target the average Joe, rather than the high end, like Overture (their prime competitors in my area).

Franchising a proven model will get your business running quicker ... or you could try to copy it.

12. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Supporting Actor

that theater xtreme looks promising. I have a coupleof guys that might want to do that. Hell you never know