What's new

Home Theater ina Box for Music (Opinions?) (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I'm getting tired of having such tall speakers in my main room and am considering picking up a "Home Theater in a Box" to replace it. The main thing I'm looking for is the smaller speakers.

The question really is what are some solid options for the smaller speaker package, but with sound that will match my 10in. (FOR MUSIC!) Now, I know that sounds off, but I know the technology is getting to the point where I don't need 10in's anymore.

I was looking at the Kenwood 705 system at Best Buy. The speakers were a tad smaller than my Yamaha surrounds, and sounded really good!

I still want the speakers powered by a receiver with 100watts a piece.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Doug

David Preston

Supporting Actor
You really don't have to go HTIB to get rid of your 10's and replace them with smaller ones. You can go with Energy Take 5.2 or Def Tech Cinema 80's. These are nice and small and they sound awesome for HT. I haven't heard music on them but they are great quality so I'm sure they would sound good. Give them a listen. I myself will probably settle on some DIY speakers from RAD(Rutledge Audio Design). They will be small but just a litter bigger than the ones I mentioned. I've been told with these you can expect twice the performance for half the price. With the RAD speakers you can get different finishes to. I will be auditioning these in my home with my receiver before I buy. Better than any store can offer there. I am in the same boat you are. I want to get rid of my 12 inch full range speakers and get a sub sat system. One that sounds better than my current set up.

Arron H

Second Unit
If you're limiting yourself to BB, check out JBL speakers. They are probably the best option that BB carries and are fairly reasonable price wise. Some of the Nseries speakers are small cubes. Stay away from the Bose cubes. I have not really listened to the Kenwood HTIB option. Try comparing it to JBL Nseries coupled with say a Yamaha or Sony receiver.

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
Doug,

Here are 2 options you can consider. First there is the JBL NS-P1M2 with a 12" inch powered sub. This is a great sounding set a has gotten good reviews from this forum as well as AVS forum. B&H carries this complete set for 499.00. Or there is the new Onkyo 6.1 HTIB with the receiver having HD component inputs. The receiver sends 100W to all 6 speakers and the sub is a 8" 150W. I was quite impressed when I heard this system at Fry's and One call is selling this system for 499.00. So those are 2 options whether you want just speakers or the receiver to go with it. Thats my 2 cents for what its worth.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I was back at BB today and saw the JBL set, they look good, but weren't hooked up. (Not that they're hooked up right half the time anyway.)

I think I'm leaning more towards buying smaller speakers seperately (as suggested) I already have a Sony STR-DE845 receiver so I'm set receiver wise (I wasn't impressed with the back of the Kenwood box set.)

What other suggestions for stand alone speaker/sub sets? I'll be honest, I still don't know how I feel about speaker/subs, I'm still thinking. I have good bass tubes on my 10in, and have a 10in sub too. Am I going to be happy going with a 10-12in sub with the smaller size speakers? Who hear is using them that had 10in speakers before?

Hrm... $500 sounds about right for a speaker package. I've seen a few Sony sets for cheaper, but I don't know how good they actually sounded, kinda tin-y. I just want to be happy with them.

Doug

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Doug go to Link Removed and take a look at the different types. He has subs also. This is probably what I will choose. I beleive he can also build you something custom if thats what you want you will have to talk to him. Brian's customer service is excellent. You can choose different finishes also. He lives pretty close to me I consider myself lucky. He will be calibrating my system on the 31st and bringing me some speakers to audition. I'm tired of my big 12 inch speakers. I want something a little more compact that sounds great. Let us know what you do. David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks